Greetings From Virginia

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Hi I'm located in the south side of Va and I have been snooping around this site for a little while now. I do not have a pond but I'm in the planning stages of one. Nothing big and or fancy. I am still price comparing and such. Any advice appreciated. For example I am looking at preformed liners. Is there any places online that you recommend or if anybody local knows the best place to buy them is appreciated. Looking forward to being a regular member here. Thanks

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and preformed I had big headache and gave it away .I live on the southside also and there are great deals at the Reidsville NC lowes .they have pond liners at low prices and that manager there goes crazy with great deals .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
great place to get pond plants cheap a whole bag for 5 dollars430 airport dr danville VA 10 x 15 liner at lowers less than 100 dollars and pump you can start off with a harbor freight one in Danville .I can give you some lotus once you get started and some lilies .There is the koi farm in Reidsville 5 and 6 dollars for nice fish ,got mine there

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Oh cool! I'm in Martinsville. I checked out the Lowes there a few days ago and didn't have too much. I'll have to check out Reidsville Lowes. I'm leaning towards goldfish as of now but who knows. I'll probably be up and running by next spring so I'll probably take you up on your offer then probably. I have seen that koi farm before but never really stopped by. Do they sell plants too? I see you have koi but do you also have goldfish?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Yeh they sell some but not as much as before .They are more expensive that the guy on airport road .I got water lettuce 3 plants and 3 water hyacinth and fairy moss and Duck weed .5 dollars for all of them and the koi need lots of filtration and are harder to take care of and grow fast mine were just a couple of inches long 9 years ago and now top out at 2 feet or more .Gold fish he has butterfly and fantails ,the best time is a week or 2 after he gets a shipment of fish .If you look it up on the yellow pages i posted more pics from his place .Not far to go at least and I can help you if need be .Help is just a shout away :razz:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcomebug9.gif
Sean

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Hi,

I looked up the south side of VA (Axton)? and boy you are really down there. I am in Ottoman which is the Northern Neck of VA. I thought I would look up the place you were writing about on Airport Drive but the travel time according to mapquest is 4 hours and 23 minutes. Not going to happen. Does anyone know of a place close to Lancaster, VA that would sell plants super cheap? Our fish have reproduced and we have about 15 now. Don't really need anymore because I do not want to have our pond too full.

As to the preformed, I have seen them and spoken to people who have/had them and they are not happy campers. We purchased two liners from Home Depot and taped them together. We had to purchase an emergency replacement pump on the 4th of July (not a fun holiday) tooooo hot. We purchased the replacement pump from Home Depot also and are very pleased with both purchases. Our fish other than the koi (which was given to us by a neighbor) all came from Walmart. Our first ones from Walmart died for the most part. I kept my receipt and they replaced them with nicer and bigger fish than in the original purchase. If you want your money back, you are going to love this, you have to take the bodies in... Doncha' just luv Walmart? : )

Check our your neighborhood yard sales and sometimes even thrift shops for some of the pots, etc. that you will use. You may be surprised!

Lola

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Are you any where near Greenville VA if you are there is springdale water gardens it is a couple of acres of ponds and has all kinds of classes .If you are near Richmond a great place is fins and feathers .I stop there on my way back from NJ

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Hi,

Greenville is 3 hours and 20 minutes and Richmond 1 hour and 20 minutes according to mapquest. We are located between the Potomac and Rappahannock Rivers and about a mile down the road is the Corrotoman River. What is that saying about water water everywhere...

Thank you for your suggestion as to sources for plants though. It is greatly appreciated.

Lola

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
since you live by all that water you should be able to find plants in them and if you do clean them good a keep them out of the pond in seperate container until you are sure you have no bad stuff hanging on and remember some plants can be use in ponds also .You jut have to check there hang tags and if the like there feet wet they will do great in a pond

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
welcome-1-1-1.gif

to the group! I have always done liner ponds, my honey bought me two preforms, well I installed them, put them into our pond loop. But honestly would never do a preform again, what a pita, much prefer liners.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Never mind found the pond calculator thing.

Right now though I'm leaning toward a wildlife setup vs the garden set up. To me the garden set up sounds like just like having a massive fish tank outside, and I already have one inside! Any thoughts? Or anyone with experience on wildlife ponds? They seem to be massively popular in England.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have seen several wildlife ponds on here but even natural with out spring fed water you will be dealing with problems and work .Mosquito's being number 1 on the list and attracting snakes .With a nice set up at low cost you could have a nice healthy pond .As long as there is plenty of water movement and oxygen and plants and fish ,you should end up with a nice set up .I found adding plants to my filter has really helped and adding grasses .Also learned feeding my fish once or twice a week makes them clean there area pretty good .I just called airmax in Nc they have a nice aerator set up every thing included and a decent price and may take a ride there to see there place

Attachments

• lily storm 7.28 018.JPG
    lily storm 7.28 018.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 445

Ask a Question