Greetings!

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
My name is John Huff. Friends call me Dr. Sir John Huff. I don't want to know what my enemies call me.
Glad to see that the forum is thriving.

Things which have happened to my pond since my last time here:
- One of my pumps failed and I now only have a single bioball filter for my pond. It's too late in the season to add more filtration but next season I will route my shower filter into the same pump line and increase my media capacity.

- Bobcat(s) attacked and ate about 40% of my fish (especially the big colorful ones). Each time I added more netting and I think I may be ok now. I actually saw the bobcat in the pond enclosure one time and found out where he was coming and going. I'll do a final check of the netting before the weather gets too cold. Not only did the bobcat eat the fish, he/she thrashed the plants while doing so.

- My favorite fish dealer went out of business and I no longer have access to the wonderfully colorful koi that he and only he carried.

- 3-4 of my medium size fish died over Spring and I don't know why. They looked completely healthy.

- I'm working towards minimum maintenance. The problem remains cleaning the mechanical filters. I've added more filters so that it takes longer for them to clog up.

- I found the leak in my pond. It was in the waterfall. Don't know where in the waterfall but I bypassed it and the leaking stopped. There still is a little leakage but it's minor enough that I consider it just an easy way to do a little water change.

- Because my favorite fish dealer is gone, I've stocked up the pond with simple 35 cent feeder fish. They seem to be doing well and are a lively part of the fish community.

- Alongside the fish, I've managed to befriend a family of whitetail rabbits, a few squirrels, blue jays and robins. I hope they stick around during the winter.

So what have you guys been doing?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Dr. Sir John Huff WELCOME back!

So sorry to hear of all your trials and tribulations.......................

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome back to the forum! :) Sorry to hear about the bobcat attack, that must have been awful for you. You've missed quite a lot since you were last here! Sadly Meyer Jordan passed away at the end of last year, we all miss his input.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Bobcats! Holy cow! I think that's the first time we've heard of that happening! You've had lots of challenges for sure - glad to hear that things have settled down, at least for now! And welcome back!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hey
upload_2018-9-13_9-3-47.gif
@JohnHuff
Darn bobcats! I see them around here sometimes when out walking or riding my bike. They are scaredy cats of me.
Hope you get your pond secure enough to keep them out. I had trouble w/a tailless racoon a short while back. Had to reinforce around the bottom of my net w/higher wire fencing and attach the net to it tighter. Also added some short spikes to some short boards on one area where they were getting in at. They don't like walking on pin cushions! So far so good!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Bobcats are the next bald eagles where they are no longer endangered. They're on the watch list for endangered species but they are silently coming back more so then people realize. The missing small dog or cat posters on the telephone pole is probably a testament to coyotes and bobcats. A deeper pond should take care of the bobcats hanging around.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hello. A bobcat at your pond, sorry but I do think bobcats are lovely, I would also love to see one. Pity it took your fish thought, it would have been nice if it only took a drink and then went on its way.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Dr. Sir John,
I’m a newer member since you last posted and agree, this is a fine forum. Oh yeah, I fully support the lower maintenance approach! Take care,
Stephen

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi John. Great to see you back! :) Sorry about losing your fish. We have had bobcats in Chicago. They wander down the railroad tracks from Wisconsin. It's the same route coyotes and other animals take.

Ask a Question