Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
That was a cougar @CometKeith - not the same animal.
Okay. Obviously this is over my head! I don't know the difference between a mountain lion, cougar, or bobcat, but I'm assuming it's pretty much a matter of size. I'm not too crazy about cats in general, but did see some leopards and lions in africa and they were pretty cool. I have a nice picture of a leopard holding an impala by the throat, but didn't post it because it might make someone kinda queasy!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
Linx are substantially larger then bobcats and do not like living around humans. And if i'm not mistaken you'll only find linx in the most northerly states in the U.S but more of a Canadian traveler

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
Okay. Obviously this is over my head! I don't know the difference between a mountain lion, cougar, or bobcat, but I'm assuming it's pretty much a matter of size. I'm not too crazy about cats in general, but did see some leopards and lions in africa and they were pretty cool. I have a nice picture of a leopard holding an impala by the throat, but didn't post it because it might make someone kinda queasy!
I'D love to see it put it up in the thread wild life

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
A bobcat a person could fight off , not without some nasty scars but you'll more then likely live. a mountain lion on the other hand is much stronger the teeth and jaw much larger and stronger. and the odds are you would not survive. but this is what they will tell you if you ever do encounter a mountain lion. PROTECT YOUR NECK Like cometkieth said the leopard had it's kill by the throat that's how mountain lions kill but I believe they like to take a bite from the back and sever the spine. The leopard likes to choke it's prey. what can I say i'm like rob I love wild life photography

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
I'D love to see it put it up in the thread wild life
Okay. i'll try to find that thread. Didn't even know there was one. I went on several safaris a couple years ago, There is no comparison in seeing an animal in the wild versus the zoo. In the wild you can see how they hunt and kill their prey. If that happened in the zoo you would have a lot of angry mothers!
Hmmm... I looked and couldn't find wild life. Where should I look? Did see some threads I never saw before. I guess most of them are not that new... just never really looked.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
Okay. i'll try to find that thread. Didn't even know there was one. I went on several safaris a couple years ago, There is no comparison in seeing an animal in the wild versus the zoo. In the wild you can see how they hunt and kill their prey. If that happened in the zoo you would have a lot of angry mothers!
God forbid people see the truth. Like keeping chimpanzees , as babies there is NOTHING CUTER but full growth even though less then half our size they can kick our butts.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
God forbid people see the truth. Like keeping chimpanzees , as babies there is NOTHING CUTER but full growth even though less then half our size they can kick our butts.
When we went to Chobe National Park in Botswana there was a horrible stench when we were about half way driving through to get to our lodge. There on the side of the road was a huge dead elephant that hyenas and vultures were picking apart. We got to see them in action the next morning. As we drove by in our truck the hyenas stopped what they were doing and all stared at us. Within two days just the bones were left of the elephant. The guides told us the hyenas are the most dangerous animals in the parks. They attack in packs and can kill any animal. They said if you tried sleeping in a tent at night on the ground they would rip you apart :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
We had a cougar caught on our trail cam at our front gate a couple of years ago (posted in my pond thread), our dogs and myself passed by a few hours later.
I think the dogs sensed that the cougar wasn't far off.
Our dogs are 100-120 lbs for a size reference.
MFDC0440.jpg

MFDC0446.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
Thanks. I never noticed this thread or if I did I didn't remember it. I posted the pic of the leopard dragging the impala by it's neck. I take no responsibility if people don't like it!
Hey it is part of nature........... I loved watching the cheetahs chase when I was in Africa. We did a tent safari spent 3 weeks out in the wilds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
I know the stench you speak of I found a big moose in maine that a car hit and within a week it was gone bones and all. Bears, coyote, maybe a wolf and ever other little ceature like raccoon and fox probably all had a meal. I saw this in yellowstone it was crazzzzzzzy
Hey it is part of nature........... I loved watching the cheetahs chase when I was in Africa. We did a tent safari spent 3 weeks out in the wilds.
I'd be willing to bet there were a couple nights hubby heard or said what was that !!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
we saw a grizzy take down a buffalo in yellow stone I was trying to find the photo of the grizzly sitting on the buffalo

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
I'd be willing to bet there were a couple nights hubby heard or said what was that !!!
lol long before I knew hubby. This was before first hubby. Went to Africa on my own. Also did a white water rafting trip for a week down the Zambezi river.

The lions would huff outside of the tents, the guides said do not leave your tent if you heard that. They would chase them away.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
tetons grizz (1 of 1).JPG
do not leave your tent if you heard that
lol Sound advice if there ever was some

just last year I went on a road trip and chased grizzlies for a week in the Tetons and yellow stone. rule number one don't sleep in the clothes you cook in. well that didn't matter too much seeing as I was sleeping in an excursion not only with the clothes on but the dirty clothes close by in the truck and the cooler at my feet with food in it and all kinds of junk food hanging about. Two things I kept very close every night . the bear spray" very reluctant to spray that in a closed truck but if there's no choice . and the safer bet was the cars panic alarm which I did have to use one night when I woke to the truck rocking. I was not in a camp ground but just pulled off on a little dirt road. I never did see the grizz but I did see his paw prints.

Last edited:

Ask a Question