Gross, gross, GROSS!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I went to use my Pond-o-vac this afternoon. It’s been sitting on the back porch all winter, so this is the first time to get it out and set up this season. Started it up and it was acting like the intake was obstructed — not in the tubing, but where the tubing connects to the unit. I took the part off to look inside and saw the obstruction— ah, just a “tube” of leaves and pond crud left over from the last time I used it. No biggie, so I stick my fingers inside to pull it out! It was a dried up rat or large mouse!! I had it all the way out before it clicked what I was holding! Ewwww! No wonder the vac smelled sour! Gross! I guess it crawled up in there seeking shelter — and got stuck.

@bettasngoldfish

Reaction score
Country
United States
I went to use my Pond-o-vac this afternoon. It’s been sitting on the back porch all winter, so this is the first time to get it out and set up this season. Started it up and it was acting like the intake was obstructed — not in the tubing, but where the tubing connects to the unit. I took the part off to look inside and saw the obstruction— ah, just a “tube” of leaves and pond crud left over from the last time I used it. No biggie, so I stick my fingers inside to pull it out! It was a dried up rat or large mouse!! I had it all the way out before it clicked what I was holding! Ewwww! No wonder the vac smelled sour! Gross! I guess it crawled up in there seeking shelter — and got stuck.

@bettasngoldfish

OMG! I will not make that same mistake when I break mine out! :eek:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You should have been on this one job in Copley square in Boston just as the big dig was begun. Every day at noon this floppy eared long nose long hair animal the size of a Lassa apso it was like clock work every day we would give it our scraps and the guys would pet and feed it. Well that is until the building inspector came by one day and saw the guys feeding and petting it and i'm sure you guessed it by now it was a Rat A RARE SEWER Rat from what he told us. The guys ran into the job and came out with cordless nail guns and started shooting at it. well thank god there accuracy is sad to say the least they shoot nails not bullets. I got a kick out of it one minute they call it dog and it's a friend the next they call it a rat and they want no part of it..

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Gives me chills up and down my spine thinking about all this touching yuck!
But I do feel sorry for the rat dog.......................hope it got away!

upload_2018-4-29_9-5-50.gif

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oh, I totally forgot about this — 2018 must be my year of the rodent! We returned from a ski trip in January. At the time, our local area (NWLA) actually had some real winter, and even a couple days of snow! Anyway, when we got back from CO and I went out to check on the pond — another “EWWWW” moment — I saw “something” on the bottom. Scooped out a full grow squirrel! Warning: graphic image! (no, I didn’t get a pic of yesterday’s rodent before it went in the trash). I’ll be perfectly fine if nothing else dies in the yard or pond for the rest of the year!
91E66FC1-857C-436D-90A9-2520DA91A29F.jpeg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Poor squirrel, wonder what happened?
I wondered, as well, and for the next couple of weeks I was finding dead fish (3 or 4), which is unusual for that time of year for my pond. I suspect that it fell in and was a victim of hypothermia — but it could have been ill.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
had a hose break for submerged pump and suck a small fish in to the impeller.. wife dealt with it to "pick/scrap" out as other things needed to be done that needed my attention freshly mutilated at that

Reaction score
Country
United States
had a hose break for submerged pump and suck a small fish in to the impeller.. wife dealt with it to "pick/scrap" out as other things needed to be done that needed my attention freshly mutilated at that

Ugh, I've had a few fish mutilated by filters (aquarium not pond) over the years. Not nice at all :wtf:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Blech! That's like the day I realized something was blocking my spillway and stuck my hand up there - two dead stinky bloated frogs! Ewwww!
Double YUCK! I must say that yours beats mine hands down! At least my little rodent was partially mummified!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Poor squirrel. I haven't found anything dead yet this year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When you have a weekend home in the country you get a lot of company. I had invited a couple from the city up for the weekend. I was surprised when they agreed to came. They are the kind that believe there is no intelligent life outside the city. The plan was they take train from NYC to White Plains station where I would pick them up. We had a great ride up caught up on all the gossip. I turned in my driveway and stopped in disbelieve, middle of my lawn a large dead deer. My city friend said " the country is so great you have deer sleeping in your front yard " I replied Mary deer don't sleep with their legs straight out its dead !! Deer must have been hit by a car and stumbled into my yard. I had to call the gardener who dragged it into the woods with tractor. Dead deer in front yard could have ruined weekend

Ask a Question