Ground water or rain water getting in?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm hoping someone can give me some advice about our pond.

We inherited a 3m by 2.5m (at the widest points) pond with a raised rockery twice that size behind it. It was too much for us in terms of maintenance and only left a small path to one side to access the rest of the garden. The liner was also very old and had a split it in so needed replacing.

The pond attracts a lot of wildlife so we are really keen to keep it, but we've tried to remodeling a bit and it has gone really wrong. We've removed the rockery to the rear of the pond and reduced the size to make it easier to maintain and improve access to the rest of the garden. Unfortunately we've lined it and concreted the edging and the pond has filled with water underneath the liner, floating the liner to the top.

The pond is in the same position and at the same level as the previous pond, so I'm wondering if the reduced size has meant that the water/liner weight isn't enough to keep it down, or removing the rockery at the back has meant that there rain water (we've had an exceptional amount of rain in the last week) seeping under the liner. Is there any way we can tell it it is ground water or rain water seeping in? Also is there any way to drain water from underneath a pond liner without wrecking the work we've done?

One idea we had was to build a raised bed behind the pond to stop rainwater going straight under the liner but we're reluctant to spend a lot of time and money doing this if it isn't going to solve the problem.

Any advice for complete novices would be much appreciated.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!

It sounds like you have run off getting under the liner. It sounds like the rockery was higher up than the pond and was most likely absorbing the rain water or directing it around the pond. If it were mine I would make a berm, a french drain to direct water away from the edge of the pond.

Pictures to help, we need to visualize what we are trying to help with.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1624392172963.gif
@Kw83

Reaction score
Showcase(s):