Ground water

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Help!!!!

I just started digging a hole in the area where I would like to build a pond, so that I could get a feel for the ground. Within 1 foot, water started appearing, and by two feet, I had a well. I’m starting to think that a lined pond will be impossible. Do you think it would work without a liner, and I could rely on groundwater to fill it? I don’t want any fish; just frogs.

Thanks!

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Frogs are known to breed in temporary ponds, and when those dry up, they simply move on. Try the unlined route, and see if, and for how long, it will hold water. Another alternative would be a raised pond, with a berm built up around it to allow easier access.
John

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I would suggest that the amount of rain/precipitation that we've had in this area recently is what you're seeing when you dig. Unless you're living where the water table is extremely high (near a marsh for example), there's not much chance that you've hit the water table at a foot deep. And even if you did, come July and August, that water is going to dry right up. So if you're looking for a temporary hole filled with water then you might get away with it. But if you want an actual pond I would say you need a liner.

If you DO have a high water table, it's still possible to build a liner pond, but you would need to install a sump pump under the liner to keep the water from accumulating and floating the liner. Someone here posted about that exact thing a few years ago - I can't remember the poster's name, but he dug a big pond and hit water.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Lisak1 It wasn’t me who posted about hitting water, but that is our situation. When we dug, we had weeping and “ground water” at around 2 or so feet. Had to re-do the pond after a couple of years and had to make it partially above ground to compensate for the liner push. Have had no problems since.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
High water table isn't a problem just something you need to address in your build. The biggest question is can you pump the hole dry or relatively. For a liner pond you'll want to install a perimeter drain under the liner at the bottom of the pond. this is one product that is out there for such conditions. but by no means is it the only.Multi-Vent Roll. as the pressure builds the water will rise within the tubes. KEEPING YOUR LINER FROM BUBLING. I saw a picture of someone's pond who had a high water table the air even got trapped and the bubbles were about 6" out of the water. The other option is to use bentonite but that could be a different animal of a different color all together http://www.underwaterwarehouse.com/Multi-Vent-Underliner-System-Pond-Liner-and-Sealants-sc-4192.html

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@Lisak1 It wasn’t me who posted about hitting water, but that is our situation. When we dug, we had weeping and “ground water” at around 2 or so feet. Had to re-do the pond after a couple of years and had to make it partially above ground to compensate for the liner push. Have had no problems since.

I wish I could remember the poster - he built a really beautiful pond on his parent's property. I remember the part about the sump pump under the liner but that's about it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I would suggest that the amount of rain/precipitation that we've had in this area recently is what you're seeing when you dig. Unless you're living where the water table is extremely high (near a marsh for example), there's not much chance that you've hit the water table at a foot deep. And even if you did, come July and August, that water is going to dry right up. So if you're looking for a temporary hole filled with water then you might get away with it. But if you want an actual pond I would say you need a liner.

If you DO have a high water table, it's still possible to build a liner pond, but you would need to install a sump pump under the liner to keep the water from accumulating and floating the liner. Someone here posted about that exact thing a few years ago - I can't remember the poster's name, but he dug a big pond and hit water.
Unfortunately, I don’t have a sump pump available, because I’m on a tight budget. Is there anything else that might work?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Just use it as it is.
Plant some plants, slope the walls of the hole so wildlife is able to easily enter/exit, build a slight berm to prevent surface water from entering the pond and monitor the water level.
Put in a small aerator for a bit of circulation.
If mosquitos are a concern, put in a couple of minnows.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I also have a similar issue, this is my first pond. A frog pond is on our newly purchased property. Needs work, we attempted to empty in order to change liner. We emptied three days in a row and it filled back up to 4 ft at the deep end. The liner is more than one piece and one of the seams has lifted but the water seems to be staying at this level.
Not intending to have fish just plants and frongs if they come. Should we leave it as is as suggested above. The water is about two feet below ground level we were thinking of lowering the ground a shelf around the deep end.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I get very cautious when I hear someone start talking about a natural depression and high water. you could create a vernal pool and let the environmentalists get ahold of that little fact on your property. I build high voltage transmission lines and take my word for It you don't want a noted vernal pool on your property.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I get very cautious when I hear someone start talking about a natural depression and high water. you could create a vernal pool and let the environmentalists get ahold of that little fact on your property. I build high voltage transmission lines and take my word for It you don't want a noted vernal pool on your property.
We have a very high water table, the pond in in a gully probably not the best spot. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks for your help.

Ask a Question