Grow floating plants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
Anyone grow floating plants in a separate container or pool. Thinking of trying to get some growing well by placing in a water trough and adding fertilizer to help grow then add them back into the pond when there are lots of them.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Parrots Feather, Duckweed and Azolla all grow good in my tubs. My fish don't seem to bother the Parrots feather but if I add Duckweed and Azolla it's a goner! I hear Floating Heart is a nice plant to grow. Kinda like a mini waterlily.

Reaction score
Country
United States
In past summers I would have to pull water lettuce and hyacinth from my ponds and just put them in big muck buckets. They always did well even without fertilizer. The last few years I haven't really had a lot of success with either though. This year I didn't even buy the water lettuce. The hyacinth is just recently starting to take off (although no blooms at all) I have them contained in a feeding ring.

@sissy has posted about keeping floating plants in troughs and using fertilizer. I haven't seen her post anything in a while but I know she has mentioned doing this a few times.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I've not grown them in separate tanks, but I have pulled them out and put them in a bath of Miracle-Gro to green them up and get them growing. They do great in the bucket, but I still can never get them to grow in my big pond, so I've kind of given up on that. They do great in my patio pond and pond less waterfall.

Ask a Question