Grow tank for duckweed / azolla

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I want to keep a supply of duckweed/azolla and know that some of you guys keep it. What kind of set-up do you use? Do you aerate or filter the water? What size tank/tub? Full sun.....? Fertilizer? IOW, what are the optimal growing conditions?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have a bunch growing in a small liner pond. The pond did have other plants that made a mess in there and the soil from those plants tipped out so the bottom of that pond has a bunch of gunk in it. All I did was put some more well water in, add the duckweed I found in the wild and voila it filled it nicely! Maybe the muck is what it likes, don't know for sure but it liked mine. I have no pump or aerator at all in there. Just the duckweed and the muck. All kinds of critters come to visit it including raccoons which must come out green cuz I know they have been in there cuz when they do duckweed is everywhere outside the pond! The duckweed still thrives tho.

Found this for ya just now: https://duckweedgardening.com/2012/03/07/duckweed-growing-tips-and-tricks/

Here is a photo of mine below:
IMG_8612.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Oh and at one time that whole pond was full of Azolla and just a tiny bit of duck weed. One day I took out a lot of the Azolla to put in the big pond and after that the duck weed took over and no more Azolla. I have no Azolla now.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks, @mrsclem and @j.w I recently ordered 4 “quantities” of azolla. Two went into the pond and 1 each went into the 2 sides of the turtle bog. Within an hour.....you guessed it.....there was NOTHING left in the pond! And by the time the turtles went in and out, after a couple of days......there were only a few plants left in the turtle bog (of course, they could have eaten some of it). I had sorta been hoping that the turtle bog area would serve as a “safe place” to let some grow out.....but, no. Not when you see little box turtles walking around, “wearing” a layer of it, LOL!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I got my Azolla locally and more recently Duckweed from Ebay. I have not figured out the best way to grow it yet. However growing it in the same place where it is eaten is not a good idea.

I have had the Azolla growing in several places. The best so far is an old 400 gallon spa with partial shade. This Azolla is a healthy looking green and mounds up due to its extensive growth. Currently water hyacinth is crowding it out. In a 35 gallon preform the Azolla is now looking very healthy whereas a month ago it was crowded out by string algae.

I have only had the Duckweed for a couple of months. I split the small quantity (about an ounce) into four locations. The one that is doing the best is inside near a window in a 1 gallon glass jar with a glass lid. This Duckweed has populated the entire surface. Outside in a similar glass jar the Duckweed is not doing as well. Also outside in an open container I have some growing which is doing about as well as the other outside stuff.

If I had to guess, neither Azolla nor Duckweed needs full sun. But there is probably an optimum temperature.

Ask a Question