Growing Anacharis before pond is ready

n8r

Reaction score
Country
United States
My pond is about 1-2 weeks from being ready for water, but I wanted to get a head start on propagating some Anacharis so I have a bunch to put in when the pond gets filled. I bought a few bunches and put them in a bucket to try to grow. I have been reading up on the web how to propagate Anacharis but all the info I can find refers to growing it in a pond or aquarium where it has fish waste for nutrients.

Will the Anacharis grow by itself in a bucket with just water and sunlight, or do I need to add plant food of some sort? I don't have fish yet to get their poop but I have chickens! I'm assuming chicken poop is a bad idea due to Salmonella?? Should I add a little garden soil to the bottom of the bucket?
Any Ideas how to get this stuff to grow as much as possible is appreciated, thanks.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You could add a little something like (diluted) Miracle Grow to the water. I can't advise on how much, though, but I know other members do that to perk up their water hyacinth and other plants. If it was me, I'd stick an air stone in with it -- probably not necessary but couldn't hurt.

If it works, report back ASAP -- the fish have started dinning on mine, so I was going to order some more. But several places are saying it's now banned in my state as an "invasive." Looks like I'll need to propogate and grow my own....

n8r

Reaction score
Country
United States
Miracle grow sounds like a good idea. I don't have an air stone, but I do have a small fountain pump I was going to put in it to circulate the water

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine grows like weeds.

Some it has rooted itself, sort of. I would put some clay, kitty litter or just dirt from the yard in a container, set it out where it gets sun, but make sure it does not cook the plants. Water movement might help. Watch for mosquitoes living in the container.

TM I have trees of it growing in the pond with the fish. They must not eat enough to bother it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
One year I bought one of those little clumps of hornwort that they sell with the lead weight around it and just threw it in the bottom of the pond. A few months later it was the size of a basketball with a large stream of steady bubbles. Since then I have not needed to buy any anacharis or hornwort because there is always enough of it that survives the winter to start up again. Pond plants love water movement. I think an air stone does more to help the plants than the fish sometimes.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I tossed hornwort in the big pond, (it is now in every pond, which is fine). It does grow the best where the water is moving the most. I have two forest of it and you can see anacharis growing here right below the waterfall, it is around 4 feet tall. It and the hornwort grow together.

upload_2016-7-13_6-39-40.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My pond is about 1-2 weeks from being ready for water, but I wanted to get a head start on propagating some Anacharis so I have a bunch to put in when the pond gets filled. I bought a few bunches and put them in a bucket to try to grow. I have been reading up on the web how to propagate Anacharis but all the info I can find refers to growing it in a pond or aquarium where it has fish waste for nutrients.

Will the Anacharis grow by itself in a bucket with just water and sunlight, or do I need to add plant food of some sort? I don't have fish yet to get their poop but I have chickens! I'm assuming chicken poop is a bad idea due to Salmonella?? Should I add a little garden soil to the bottom of the bucket?
Any Ideas how to get this stuff to grow as much as possible is appreciated, thanks.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One thing I don’t have in my pond is live pond plants in the baskets. I do have “Water soldiers”. I started off with 4, now I have enough for my new pond. Don’t know how many of them I have. In photos I have imitation plants. Safe for the fish. Blue. P.S. 1 plant burst in basket. Could not see in water. Replaced all water. Never Again!!!!!.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Do you have friends or family in the area with an aquarium? If not, post on local Craigslist, Facebook page, looking for used aquarium water. Most of us pour it down the drain or onto our plants. Or if you have a local pet shop with fish, they might be willing to let you fill a few gallon jugs on water change days. As for if that’s not an option, fish emulsion may stink, but a spoonful mixed in like a gallon of water, but it’s what the plants will be getting in the pond, and of little concern about maybe having something toxic in it that might harm fish. It’s sold as a garden fertilizer.

Ask a Question