growing out diet

Reaction score
Country
United States
So we're coming into growing out season, and I realized I messed up a little bit with the diet of my fry last year. My biggest is only about 3" now and my average is about 1.5." They're approaching a year old and really should be bigger. I don't want to mess up again this year, so I'd like some helping with my feeding regiment, both to grow out last year's babies and to help this year's coming babies succeed. I had some ideas, and I'll list them below, but I'd really like some ideas and help. Thanks in advance forum folk!

Hi Silk
Saki-Hikari Growth
Live tubifex worms (or some other live source of protein)
Peas??
http://www.arthuraquatics.com/50Food.html
Spirulina powder
Plankton
Montmorrilonite clay
Blackwater Max Growth Koi Food

As you can tell, I'm quite confused haha.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Some extra potentially helpful information:

They're currently on a 32% protein wheat germ diet until the water warms up.
Parents are all 10+ inches and all under 3 years old, with the female of the bunch measuring just under 20" or so—maybe more like 18?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
So we're coming into growing out season, and I realized I messed up a little bit with the diet of my fry last year. My biggest is only about 3" now and my average is about 1.5." They're approaching a year old and really should be bigger. I don't want to mess up again this year, so I'd like some helping with my feeding regiment, both to grow out last year's babies and to help this year's coming babies succeed. I had some ideas, and I'll list them below, but I'd really like some ideas and help. Thanks in advance forum folk!

Hi Silk
Saki-Hikari Growth
Live tubifex worms (or some other live source of protein)
Peas??
http://www.arthuraquatics.com/50Food.html
Spirulina powder
Plankton
Montmorrilonite clay
Blackwater Max Growth Koi Food

As you can tell, I'm quite confused haha.

Jenny start with wheatgerm and garlic as soon as the temperature allows then as summer starts up that to a high protien food , last years one will soon start growing out
Add montmorrrilianite clay on a regular basis
You can also mix Propolis to with a fishes food [very health indeed] :-

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/articles/propolis.25/

Also heres a list of alternate foods I've added what vitamins protiens etc are in each food :-

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/articles/alternate-foods-for-koi-and-goldfish.4/

Lastly the effects of a lack of :-

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/articles/lack-of-vitamins-and-their-effects-on-koi.1/

Hope this helps you grow your fish on

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
@Jenny Garlic helps to protect your fish from parasites in the spring you can buy a wheatgerm and garlic mix the read all the articles you asked the question before I could finish my post to you (y)

Dave

Reaction score
Country
United States
@Dave 54 Thanks! You think my babies will grow? Also, how do those people grow their fish to 20" in less than a year? Probably unrealistic, but just curious.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
@Dave 54 Thanks! You think my babies will grow? Also, how do those people grow their fish to 20" in less than a year? Probably unrealistic, but just curious.
They give them high protien food you'd be supprised how quick they come on

Dave

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
A good quality growth food fed often- as much as 5 times a day had helped me get my koi to 12-15" in one year. Be aware you will need to watch your water quality if you feed heavy.

Reaction score
Country
United States
@Dave 54 and @mrsclem What growth foods do you recommend? What brands?

@Meyer Jordan Last summer I fed a couple of times per day and fed enough to keep them eating for about 5-10 minutes. Like I said, I screwed up. I don't even think it was very high protein.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom

@Meyer Jordan Last summer I fed a couple of times per day and fed enough to keep them eating for about 5-10 minutes. Like I said, I screwed up. I don't even think it was very high protein.
The feed we use in the summer months is 40% Jenny and the feed rate goes up to four to six times daily in adult koi as much as they can eat in 5 minutes and no more or less

Dave

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States

I use Blackwater Creek, Microbe-lift Legacy and Blue Ridge growth foods.

Ask a Question