Guinea Worms -- interesting.....(gross, but interesting)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We were just watching an episode of STAR TALK with Neil DeGrasse Tyson -- the episode was about parasites. In particular, the Guinea worm and its eradication. Very interesting, as I'd never heard of it, while Hubby, who is a physician, has studied it in detail through his schooling. Supposedly this "worm" was the Bibilical "firey serpent," as well as being the snake of Aesclepeus' (sp?) staff.

But what caught my attention is that one of the life stages of the parasite is a "water flea," cyclops, and while not the same as daphnia, it still makes one stop and think....

This link is to a documentary trailer, about 3 min. long.

http://www.cieloproductions.org/fwfs/default.htm

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
A terribly painful parasitic disease. Thank goodness that the vast majority of garden ponds are not the 'stagnant, polluted' bodies of water that this parasite calls home.
This, in no way, implies that a garden pond is completely safe. There are many pathogens, bacterial and parasitic, that can be present waiting to infect or invade a human through an open wound or scrape. This is especially true in a pond containing fish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I've tried to watch three times now... I just can't. Parasites disgust me to the max! Ugh!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
We were just watching an episode of STAR TALK with Neil DeGrasse Tyson -- the episode was about parasites. In particular, the Guinea worm and its eradication. Very interesting, as I'd never heard of it, while Hubby, who is a physician, has studied it in detail through his schooling. Supposedly this "worm" was the Bibilical "firey serpent," as well as being the snake of Aesclepeus' (sp?) staff.

But what caught my attention is that one of the life stages of the parasite is a "water flea," cyclops, and while not the same as daphnia, it still makes one stop and think....

This link is to a documentary trailer, about 3 min. long.

http://www.cieloproductions.org/fwfs/default.htm

Oh that looks oh so very painful and the smaller kids seem to be in so much pain :cry:
I have alsways said shrink us humans down to microscopic size for just a few moments in their world "and we'd be dead".
There are many good works going on in Africa this being one of them Maggie .
A terribly painful parasitic disease. Thank goodness that the vast majority of garden ponds are not the 'stagnant, polluted' bodies of water that this parasite calls home.
This, in no way, implies that a garden pond is completely safe. There are many pathogens, bacterial and parasitic, that can be present waiting to infect or invade a human through an open wound or scrape. This is especially true in a pond containing fish.
That is so very true Meyer , I believe there are around eight zoonosis or species skipping virus to contend with a number of which can have life changing concequences even death if contracted and not spotted in time .

Dave

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Never mind 'stagnant, polluted' bodies of water; back when I was keeping multiple aquaria, I met a man who raised Bettas. He had contracted SOMETHING (via a tiny cut on his wrist) that caused a severe rash on his entire arm, then spread to most of his body! The doctors eventually "cured" the condition, but his skin looked like he had been ravaged by smallpox. :eek:
John

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
FYI, parasites gross me out! It was hard to watch, but coming from a medical background, I guess that helps a little.

That particular episode of STAR TALK was good. This is apparently a REAL problem in certain areas of Asia and Africa and they're trying hard to educate the people in the effort to get rid of it. The hardest part, though, is the time lapse between becoming infected and when the worms & sores appear -- it takes a year! It's hard for the people to see the connection between the 2. And these are mostly uneducated people who still rely on "witch doctors" and myths in their cultures, so getting to and educating the people is paramount.

And since I'm interested in history, found it fascinating how far back these critters go in our own history! I'll never look at Aesclepeus' staff again the same way....
image.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
While I definitely appreciate the steps taken to lessen the incidence of infection in these countries, I can't help but wonder what negative effects may be incurred by the complete eradication of the Guinea Worm species? Nature always tries to find a balance, so that guinea worm serves some purpose in the grand scheme of things. Just curious what long-term problems may be incurred by getting rid of them entirely. Not to be a downer or anything....

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
While I definitely appreciate the steps taken to lessen the incidence of infection in these countries, I can't help but wonder what negative effects may be incurred by the complete eradication of the Guinea Worm species? Nature always tries to find a balance, so that guinea worm serves some purpose in the grand scheme of things. Just curious what long-term problems may be incurred by getting rid of them entirely. Not to be a downer or anything....
Funny you should bring that up as they actually discussed the same thing from an ethical standpoint on the show. Once the last case is eradicated, the "worm" will then be extinct. And what they brought up is that in order to keep the species from going extinct, it will always need a human host -- who will volunteer to be that person? Apparently, we are it's only host, though I did read somewhere where it said it could inhabit other primates and possibly dogs.

Ask a Question