Guppies out goldfish frys in!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I did it again. I planned not to intervene in the goldfish frys fate but I couldn't help it.

So the weather has been warm/hot and the pond temp is 70ish F so I moved the guppies out to the pond, leaving the guppy babies in the tank. Then I got some 10+ goldfish frys in the tank.

The goldfish frys are so tiny, I lost sight of them right after I let them go in the tank. I'm hoping they get enough to eat.

My fish tank is so bare now...with 2 hatches fish, 2 ghost catfish, 2 tiny catfish, and 2 otocinclus - about 10 baby guppies - about 7 fire red shrimps, and 3 crayfish...I'm hoping the goldfish frys grow fast!!!!!

The guppies are loving the big pond.... Except the first hour when I let them go in the pond the big shubbies was trying to eat them! But today is a second day and they are swimming around and the shubbies are not bothering them anymore.

So how fast is the goldfish fry grow?

They are pretty transparent, does that mean they are shubby or just comet?

Anya

Reaction score
Hi Nepen, that depends on what you feed them i guess...

my friends feed (daphnia or brine shrimp) on their goldfish frys for at least 2 weeks or so then switch to aqua master growth (they just crush the pellet to a fine powder) thats what i observe on their farms :)

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
So how fast is the goldfish fry grow?
Tough to say. I had two that were born at the same time and one grew nearly twice as fast as the other. Maybe an inch every couple of months in warm weather.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Nepen, I have never intervened and it's interesting how a pond naturally find a balance. My first two babies were born almost 4 years ago and they are still both doing well. I hadn't had any survive before that or even the year after. But two years later I had over 20 babies in my pond and I have the vast majority still doing well. I though my pond could only comfortably hold 10-12 fish but since I had the last batch of babies it has been hoovering around 30. The problem is when you pull them out at some point they need to go back and you may not like the results. I think it's better to let things take it's own course but I understand its fun to watch the fry grow.

Reaction score
im just gonna share to you what i've observed on most farms with goldfish here...
if they want to spawn goldfish they usually separate 2 adults GF from the main pond to another pond. usually goldfish can spawn 500-700 eggs after done spawning those eggs they separate again the 2 adults(back to the main pond) and after those eggs hatch the fry's will stay on the pond for a month(usually its around 1" or so) or 2( depends on what size buyer prefers).

always remember eggs are always good food source for bigger fish:)

Reaction score
I would do the same, even though I'm maxed out in my pond due to an explosion of platys (little red fish), I can't just scoop them and throw them out. I have a sea of fry in the pond and everyone that is big enough is preggers again, my estimate is around 300 now. They are only about an inch long fully grown but that many are stressing my filter, so I need to add a new one. :( Just starting to see string algae and some floating algae, so I know there's excess ammonia. I listed them for sale but no takers. :( I tried to give some away, no takers :(

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Oh sorry Priscilla, I know how you feel. I'm lucky to be able to give away some of my fish when I needed to.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. It's just so fun to watch them grow. I still have plenty of babies in the pond. And I already have someone I can give the goldfish to when they are bigger. I think I'm going to keep 3-5 so I have room for more later.

I looked at the brine shrimp and stuff and felt like its too much investment for them right now. Unless I don't have to buy the brine shrimp hatching machine..... Do I?

I'm going to scoop up some algae from the bog to put in the tank for them for now. If they survive that's great, if not all survive, that's fine too. I'll just learn not to mess with nature next time ;)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I let my fish dump all the eggs they want to, like we can control that............... but I do cut back on the feeding of the fish if I see them spawning. They gladly munch on the eggs that are dropped.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
ugh.... Cant find any of the goldfish fry in the tank anymore... may be it got eaten by the skeleton catfish or just died... :(

This morning when I was working in my pond I saw some frys, don't know if it's the guppy frys or the earliest batch of goldfish frys. I got some to the tank and they look exactly like the guppy fry

Does goldfish and guppy fry look alike? (at one point when they are the same size...)

Reaction score
kinda if they are newly born...
as far as i know catfish eats small fish also:(
always separate all your frys(any kind) from the main pond put in another tank(nursery tank);)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I can't tell what the frys are. They looks like guppy baby, same size. Could be guppy babies. Will know when they are a few more months old. The goldfish fry will be much larger.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I caught some fry and look through glass and they are different than the normal guppy fry so I think they are goldfish YEY!

It's been cold to the 40s at night here. I was worry about the guppies in the pond so I put in the heater in the pond just so they have some warm area. some how it worked and the guppies are alive and active in the cold pond (about 55-65 F for the past few nights, about 65+ during the day). In the cold morning I saw them hanging around the heater. I'm glad to see them ok. We will have warmer days now.

Ask a Question