Guppy about to have babies?

Reaction score
I think my fancy guppy is about to have babies!!! She's very swollen looking and is not swimming too much, seems to be resting on the bottom or hiding near plants (hopefully she's not dying!?).

I moved her to a new tank because I figured the babies would be eaten in the current tank.

Its a new tank, I filled it with half pond water and half fresh well water. I added some aquarium salt (I've never used this before, so I only added half of what was required. I have plants in the tank, so I didn't want to kill them

I tested the water 7.5 PH, hopefully some good bacteria from the pond water is going to jump start the filter in the tank.

I hope I did the right things here. Anyone else out there have guppies? Any advice? I'm so excited about this - and really hoping she's not sick ......

Thoughts anyone?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Yey for guppy babies. I have tons, way too many ;) I actually just had mine in a basket in the same tank so it was not stressing her too much, then added a few plants.

Make the tank dark will help with stress. I covered the tank with just heavy blanket. I like watching the baby comes out though, it's quite cool.

Reaction score
Yey for guppy babies. I have tons, way too many ;) I actually just had mine in a basket in the same tank so it was not stressing her too much, then added a few plants.

Make the tank dark will help with stress. I covered the tank with just heavy blanket. I like watching the baby comes out though, it's quite cool.

I'm still waiting. No babies yet. She's just laying around the tank in different places. Is that normal? I don't think she's sick, as the other fish were leaving her alone when she was in the main tank and they normally start eating the weak link.

I really don't want to lose her, I just spent $75.00 for a new tank!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I'm sorry about your guppy. I heard that the first pregnancy can be very hard for the female. Is she a bigger female or the smaller fancy one (I have one female that looks like male, and is very lean and small, but she's deffinately a female)

It could be the stress from moving to the new tank / new water / or just too weak to push.

May be next time just leave them in the same tank and just make the tank very dark, that'll give the babies a good chance to survive and also not stressing the female.

Reaction score
Thanks. My sister dissected her after she died, to see if any babies were in there, turns out it was just eggs. I think she was just weak/sick something before I even moved her, as she was just laying around which is why I thought she might have delivered yesterday.

I have one more fancy pregnant guppy. I don't think they came from a good breeder as all the males already died, so this is my last one. I'm going to let the new tank cycle for a few days and then move the last guppy into the new tank. I have it full of floating plants and places to hide.

The existing tank has a betta in it as well as some other fish that will eat the babies.

OR maybe I should buy one of birthing cage boxes and keep her in the same tank, but then move the babies to the new tank?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Guppy pregnant for about 4 weeks, how many week had it been since you got her? Guppy likes to be with other fish so I dont know how happy she will be if she's only one.

I just used the floating plant basket to seperate the female guppy and I got many babies. You just need to feed her more often when she's having babies.

Since you already have another tank maybe you could move her there a few days - a week before 4 weeks mark. I cross my fingers for this one for you :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sorry about the guppy....I have actually seen mine drop babies in the tank while they are swimming. They don't even really act any different.

The pond water is not going to cycle a new tank. You would be better off taking some filter media from the pond to jump start the new tank.

Reaction score
Sorry about the guppy....I have actually seen mine drop babies in the tank while they are swimming. They don't even really act any different.

The pond water is not going to cycle a new tank. You would be better off taking some filter media from the pond to jump start the new tank.

Thanks. Yeah, I have been using pond water in the new tank. I have also have a bunch of baby platys in the new tank now. I had a bunch in the pond, so I took 8 little guys out and put them in the new tank. I'm leaving the other pregger guppy where she is and hoping for the best. I have so many fish right now, I can't encourage more.

Reaction score

What type of filter media would you recommend? I have some lava rocks in my waterfall bucket 'filter'. Should I take a few of those and put them in the tank's filter some how? I really need some help in that tank as I am having some ammonia issues. I've been using ammo block and I took the bio filter from an older tank and stuck it in there, but so far its no help. I did two big water changes, still no change.

Thanks.

Reaction score
I'm just using the standard issue aqueon filter for a 10 gall tank. I shoved some lava rock in the filter, hope that will help with the ammonia, I have a few live plants in the tank as well.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Can you pull some of the plants from your pond too? If you put enough in the tank that will help with some of the ammonia.

If the lava rock won't fit in your filter you can always bag some up (mesh bag or even knee high stocking will work) tie it up and just drop it in the tank. I would put if near water flow from the filter or if you have an airstone going put it there.

If you have any type of stones in your pond you can pull one or two of those as well and add to your tank.

Ask a Question