Gurgling pressure filter....what next

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve replaced my failed Aquaforce 6000 pump with an identical one as in the original Bioforce Revolution 9000 pressurised kit. It was up and running on Sat afternoon, that night at stupid o’clock I was awoken by gurgling noises emanating from the filter house, crawled out of bed and went outside and decide to switch system off. Switched it back on again in Sun morning just to see what happened and all was fine till this afternoon when it started again. Couldn’t find answers online so phoned Hozelock, was told that when I refilled the foam chamber with the foam cubes that I’d rinsed in pond water as they needed doing (they usually get done once a week in the normal cleaning routine by the handle turning mechanism but seeing as I was doing a major system refit and clean I did it by hand) that I should have put them back in wet and not squeezed out into what was a dry foam chamber in the filter...she said the gurgling was because I had introduced air into the filter. Sooooo, please excuse my downright ignorance, but, if I now put the not squeezed out cubes back into a pond water filled chamber will this be ok? No where in the instructions does it say you need to do this, it just basically says put the cubes in the chamber with no mention of wetting them or filling the chamber with water first. I can’t afford to break my filter and am fed up of spending days with my head in the pond and my rear end pointing skywards whilst smelling of eau de pond! Any help is appreciated!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Maybe the lid hasn't sealed correctly and air is getting pulled in while it's running.
Is there some type of o-ring or gasket that may not be sitting in it's proper groove?
If there is an o-ring, make sure it's seated properly. You can spread some vaseline in the groove then stick the o-ring in place. The vaseline will hold the o-ring in place and also help seal it better.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Or, when you replaced the pump, maybe a leak in the plumbing occurred.
Air is getting in somewhere.
I doubt it was just air trapped when you cleaned out the filter. I would think any air would have been expelled when the pump started.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for your replies....yes there is an o-ring in the filter rim. I’ll take another look and clean it better this time. I don’t have Vaseline and have no shops here out in the sticks, any other alternatives please? Yes , from my limited knowledge I too thought that about air in the filter too being pushed out when I fired it up. I’ll go scheck to see what’s in the garage....my late hubby did have a big tub of it for his engineering tinkering, but I ‘thought’ I’d have no use for it....so threw it away last year . Appreciate your help I will check back shortly.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I can't think of any other household item that may hold the o-ring in place while you put the cover back on. I also keep a tub of vaseline in my workshop for this type of senario.

Maybe just make sure that o-ring is properly seated when you put the lid on.
I had one get distorted and stretched out somehow. I had to get a new o-ring.

Check your plumbing/hoses to make sure you didn't disrupt something when you cleaned the filter or replaced the pump.

If you're using that corregated pond hose, it is prone to leaks. It can develop pin holes where water can escape or air let in.

Check all your plumbing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
There’s none not there or an alternative either, I positively detest the stuff so I clearly recall getting rid of it. Anyway, I’ve removed the o-ring, wiped it and the channel it sits in....water and a few random small worms were n the grooves so I guess this is the problem as you suggested above. I’ll get some of Vaseline asap and do like you said. I’ve also checked my pump pipework connections and all ‘appears’ ok. I’ll re-assemble, switch on and keep my fingers crossed tightly. Thank you so much for your time and help, it is as mentioned before, appreciated...however, beware, I may be back in a day or too if the evil substance doesn’t work! Cheers, Gill.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
Yes the pipes are corrugated

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
The o-ring actually sits on the base of the filter chamber, so doesn’t really need to be held in place as I put the top part on. The Vaseline would however be useful to make a good seal

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry for delay in getting back to you. Well, it’s all switched back on and is working away...silently! Hopefully the fish will now settle down and be able to see each other through clearer water as everything’s been off for over a week in what has been the sunniest period of weather this year, plus one of the twin UV tubes had blown so I replaced that with my spare. Let’s hope this sorts it, a pot of Vaseline is now on my shopping list! The o-ring wasn’t damaged and it was a snug fit, it hadn’t stretched, plus I made sure the sprung metal retaining band that held the lid and base together was super clean. Have had our pond for 30 odd years, the two ghost koi are approaching 30 yrs of age and around 18”, there’s also 2 golden, 2 blue orfe at 12”, plus 17 small assorted shubunkins, comets, red and yellow goldfish. Thanks once again for your help it certainly makes life a lot easier when people offer their knowledge on the forums like this...kind regards, Gill.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Stick around and read through some of the very knowledgeable threads throughout this friendly forum.
Perhaps you can contribute to some of the conversations with your 30 years experience. That's a long time and that's amazing that You have fish that old!

We like pictures! Post some up if you can.
It's always nice to see other ponds/gardens.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
Saturday morning progress report...very pleased to say that the filer hasn’t gurgled one bit since I cleaned and re seated the lid on Monday. Got some of the ‘yucky stuff’ now ⬆️ as you suggested but haven't needed to apply it, will keep it just in case. The new UVs are also doing their thing and are back to clearing the water again so everything seems to be on track and my fish are smiling. Just have to re build the edge of the watercourse but I haven’t had time yet. Will post some pics when I can. Thanks again Joe for your help.

Ask a Question