Gutted Yuka collapsed during the night

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I went out as usual to feed our koi at 08:00 AM BST and as I was watching the koi eat their first meal of the day I could see out of the corner of my eye something was different in the garden.
At first I couldnt place it as everything was in place then I noticed that whilst still in place something was wrong with our yuka which stood around about 10 ft high .
The thng had become top heavy and had collapsed narrowly missing the filter housing much to say we are gutted as it was a big part of our gaden :(
I know that in nature this is how they spread so I'm going to ask our gardener to chop out the head part remove some of the side shoots then the trunk and then place it in the foot priint of the old bush so that it can grow upwards again, thank fully one of the heads from the last collapse isnow at an angle but is growing upwards so before long it will be like nothing has ever happend

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
That's a shame, sorry to hear that Dave! :(
Hi Becky its not the first time this has happened but you get to think they are there permanent when their very make up is to do exactly what it has just done :(

Dave

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sorry to hear that yucky thing that happened to your Yucca. I have something like a Yucca growing in my living room. At least I think it is some kind of Yucca. Hope yours comes back again.
IMG_6130.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Mine is a nasty type of yuka with sharp spines at it's tip the problem with them is the grow new heads from the heads and eventually as they mature the top of the yuka becomes unstable and eventually falls , the heads then root and head upwards again only to fall the same way .
We planted it 25 years ago and it has two satelite yukas that have fallen the same way one was holding the main trunk upright and its at that join that the main trunk has fallen from.
The trunk is so soft its possible to saw straight through it with a bread knife it reminds me of coconut matting

Dave

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I got some yucca growing on the farm , that I found up in the hills
It's got sharp points

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members