H E L P ! Frogs and pond netting . . .

joesandy1822

Sandy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Wow, I got a surprise when I went to check the pond this morning. Here's the scoop.

I just put a leaf net over our pond. It's about 3,000 gallons and measures about 14'x26'. I strung a rope across the length of the pond about 2' above the surface of the water, so the net is laying on the rope, keeping it off the water. I then staked the net around the edge of the pond so no leaves could get in. There is an open area by the skimmer so I can maintain it when necessary.

My hopes were that the resident frogs would figure out how to come and go through that opening, but since this is our first fall/winter with the pond, I wasn't sure exactly how this would work. I went out to check the pond this morning and the netting was laying ON the water's surface in some places and "vibrating" or bouncing. I thought how strange it was until I saw exactly what was going on. There were two large leopard frogs on TOP of the net, desperately trying to get IN the water. They were pressing their little noses through the net holes with their butts up in the air trying to dive through the net, but of course, the net wouldn't let them through.

I don't know if these are frogs that normally live in our pond and somehow found their way out, and then couldn't find their way back in, OR if these are new frogs just trying to get in. But now I don't know what to do about the net, or the frogs. (BTW, they seemed VERY happy once I netted them out and put them back in the water.) If I take the net off, then it is going to get very fouled with tons of leaves. I really don't want to do that. If I leave it on, it seems the frogs might be trapped either in or out.

ADVICE please!! I planned on leaving the net on all winter because garbage falls in from neighbor's trees all winter. (Based on all the nasty stuff we had to remove from the pool cover each spring. The pond is where our pool used to be.)

One other thing I don't like about having a net on is that the birds and other critters can't go for a drink now. I guess you have to pick what's more important.

Thanks for listening to my panic attack. Xanax anyone? :)

Sandy

joesandy1822

Sandy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I could make the net higher, but it still needs to be secured at the bottom edge to keep the leaves out. This would also prevent the frogs from getting in or out.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The one end of my pond that has leaves blowing in, I put up some small t posts, strung some netting across that end. It stops the leaves before they get to the pond. Not sure if that is something you could do. I go by the prevailing wind pattern.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I keep a net on my pond and the frogs still manage to get in and out of the water. I use stakes to hold the net in place and usually just try to leave a small area open so they can come and go as they please (still over the water but not down tight to the ground)

I did have one poor little frog get caught up in excess netting around the outer edge of the pond and he died, found him all dried up. So have to be careful about that too.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
my anti heron net is 3-4 feet over the pond, wide weave. I don't try to net it for leaves. But safe for frogs, birds etc, nothing has gotten stuck in it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Check the net once a day for animals that get stuck in it overnight.

Less to worry about when it turns colder, there's few frogs on the move

joesandy1822

Sandy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Between raising up one edge just enough so the frogs can come and go, and checking the net daily to make sure everybody's ok, I think my problem should be solved.

Now to figure out when to go in the pond for the last time and get everything trimmed back for winter . . . some plants are still green, and I've read to let them turn yellow first. But by then, some things are going to be really dead and decomposing. Always something to figure out.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am getting ready to groom my lilies, they are still blooming a little, but now we are dropping into the high 30 low 40 during the night. Mid 60's during the day. They are really slowing down, get it done before it freezes me.

Ask a Question