Had a great surprise today

Reaction score
While putting the UV light into the school pond's bio-filter my hand bumped up against something large, soft and slippery. I was so surprised when I pulled out a huge bullfrog. About 3-4 years ago, a student put two bullfrog tadpoles in the pond. I saw the frogs the following year but never saw them again so I thought they both died. Well, one didn't. A kindergarten class came out to see her and fell in love with her. They named her Freckles.

Now if I could find Freckles a boyfriend....

Attachments

• 100_5473.JPG
    100_5473.JPG
    195 KB · Views: 309
  • 100_5467.JPG
    100_5467.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 279
Last edited:

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Love the colors of it. I've got a lone Bullfrog too, but much smaller than that one. I'm wondering if mine will leave to mate or stick around. It only comes out at night and sits in my bog in the exact same spot every night.

Reaction score
We had one when we first built the pond and it stays in a drain pipe during the day. Now we have four, a pair in each pond. Build it and they will come.

Reaction score
MariaTeresa, if you look at the first picture you can see the round tympanic membrane "ears" behind her eye. The membrane on a female bullfrog is about the same size as her eye. The membrane on the male is a lot larger then his eye.

Freckles can call all she wants for a boyfriend but the school pond is in an interior courtyard. No way in or out for the wildlife. The only predators are an occasional hawk.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I love the reminder of male vs. female on the bullfrogs. I will have to look back on my pics to see differences! And, your frog is really pretty. I'll have to grab one of mine and look at the underside, see if they are as pretty as yours. Congrats on your find. Maybe you need to go to a local wild pond and catch her a mate! ;)

Ask a Question