Had out go out for milk this morning

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
We ran out of milk last night and the milknan doesnt deliver untl tomorrow morning, this made it neccessary to pop out to the local shop early on 06:00 am it was raining and I couldnt find the umbrella
I'm not saying it was wet as it was persisting down heavily and by the time I arrived back home I was all but soaked to the skin , with my legs as they are I cant walk that fast you see :(
I walked the path to our front door and there in front of me was a large toad quite happily walking down the path.towards me :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO::wacky:
Nothing strange I hear you say but this is the end of October, November is just a few days away now and by all accounts it should be in hybernation by now but the weather is so mild 14c .
If they dont start soon I can see them all having problems, in that they will be caught out .:cry:
It says alott for global warming because when we first moved here way back in 1990 it would be acctually freezing by now an they fast asleep .:cold::sleep:
Anyone else seeing this ?

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Dave,

in the Midlands it's school half term holiday this week(it does vary slightly across the country) and when my children were young, 20-30 years ago, we used to go to Snowdonia and rent a cottage for the week. I've many wonderful memories of those years. But, amazing though it seems now, we used to have frozen ground every morning, sub-zero frosts overnight, and there was often snow on the summits. I've a number of photo albums of the period, and I'm surprised when I look back at them to see how much colder it was then.

Over the years the autumns have gradually got warmer. We haven't had a frost yet in the Midlands, and the roses are still in bloom.
It is having an impact on the local wild-life. I'm still seeing frogs and toads active in the garden.
Chris

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Dave,

in the Midlands it's school half term holiday this week(it does vary slightly across the country) and when my children were young, 20-30 years ago, we used to go to Snowdonia and rent a cottage for the week. I've many wonderful memories of those years. But, amazing though it seems now, we used to have frozen ground every morning, sub-zero frosts overnight, and there was often snow on the summits. I've a number of photo albums of the period, and I'm surprised when I look back at them to see how much colder it was then.

Over the years the autumns have gradually got warmer. We haven't had a frost yet in the Midlands, and the roses are still in bloom.
It is having an impact on the local wild-life. I'm still seeing frogs and toads active in the garden.
Chris
I remember building a snowman on my birthday in the winter of 63-4 and my birthday is in March , we would wade to school in knee deep snow and the teachers too , It makes me laugh that a slight smattering of snow cancels out school.OMG are we wimps nowadays I dread a bad winter in the UK because we will not be able to cope it would simply overwhelm the country Chris mak my words in 63 I saw snowdrifts as high as houses bedroom windows all side streets were left alone and so had 3-4 ft of snow in them the authorities main priority was the main routes only .

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I don't think that service is even offered here any more.
40 years ago, we used to build houses with a "milk chute" where the milkman could put the milk inside the wall of your house so it woldn't freeze in the winter (even though it still did)
Plus people have told me that I look like the milkman a bit.:woot:
No more home delivery here.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
last night my sister stopped over after work and walked out with her to her truck and she looks and says look one of your friends and there was a frog hopping across the driveway .I got a bucket and we caught him and she dumped him off down the road by her house .There is a nice wet drainage ditch there for him or her .I remember growing up with the milkman coming 3 times a week and he would leave a list and you would check off what you wanted .Had the milk box outside the back door .I really miss that ,it was like treat day .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Ours comes three times a week sissy , another reason we keep him on is that should anything happen to Val or I then he will notice the full bottles thus raising the alarm which is something we are loosing .
The number of pensioners found dead in some cases after a year or two [so sad], thats todays self self self society for you but by keeping him he is doing a valuable work for the community and is a fist line of defence for pensioners who have fallen ill or had a stroke/heart attack .
Second used to be the humble paperboy/girl unfortunately the are told nowadays to push the paper through the front door thus another line of defence disapears .
We hark back to a far simpilar era where people trusted and looked out for one another, nieghbours looked out for one another , not one run by self interest like we see today . .

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
When I was young and went to stay with my grandparents in Phuket, Thailand, they got milk delivered and it was the best milk ever. None of that now...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Not really we also go behind his back to the shop or super market to buy the main boulk ofour milk, we even pay the 23p extra to help our long suffering dairy farmers who price for milk bottomed out .
They held siege to Morrisons supply depot wit there tractors until the super market gave in selling their milk at less than competitive prices which ment they were making a pittance for their milk with droves of dairy farmers going to the wall .
" I've come to the conclusion that supermarkets and shopping malls do not work in the UK , they damage trade in the city centre where other businesses cannot compete and go under , they even have mini markets now doing even more damage .

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
United States
I don't think that service is even offered here any more.
40 years ago, we used to build houses with a "milk chute" where the milkman could put the milk inside the wall of your house so it woldn't freeze in the winter (even though it still did)
Plus people have told me that I look like the milkman a bit.:woot:
No more home delivery here.

We got milk delivered when I was a kid. I loved the "milk slushy" we got when the mornings were really cold!

Ask a Question