Hairy algae clogging my pomps.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Is there a way to stop this before it starts? Now i am in the pond cleaning the pumps and removing this stuff.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oh my, it sounds like the dreaded string algae! The only way I know of to prevent it is by not having a pond, but amp up your plant population and that will help. If it is string algae that you’re talking about, it’s pretty easy to remove — get a brush like an unused toilet bowl brush and swirl it around in the bristles. If it’s a different kind of algae…..all I can say is feed less and add more plants.

Please post some pics of your pond! Didn’t you do a lot of work on it recently?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@420benz - do you have any kind of pre-filter on your pump? I know the algae will still clog the filter, but at least it won't get to the pump. You could do like @addy1 and put the pump inside a bucket with holes drilled in it - am I right on that one @addy1 ? Would that keep a pump from getting clogged with algae?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
FYI

Attachments

• 20210816_093051.jpg
    20210816_093051.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 49
  • 20210816_093020.jpg
    20210816_093020.jpg
    574.4 KB · Views: 41
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I prefer not getting in my pond.

I have a thin rope tied to my pump and strings tied to my air stones.

If I have to pull any of them out, I just pull on the rope or string.
Plus the rope on my pump permits me to keep the pump suspended off the bottom where any solid debris may collect. Less chance of that debris attaching itself to the pump.
The debris can be netted out manually.

It's much easier and it's not a project if I need to clean the gunk off my pump's intake holes.

Honestly, with my water so clean from bog filtration, I find I don't need to clean my pump off very often. I cleaned it twice this year. Once at the beginning of Spring and one other time, and both times it really wasn't bad.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
All of my pumps are in the same area so i plan to put a screen with 1/2 " square openings around all of the pumps.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
All of my pumps are in the same area so i plan to put a screen with 1/2 " square openings around all of the pumps.
be sure it's large enough and not tight to the pump as you might end up starving the pump if the string algae get sucked/attached to your screens. That said, it will be easier to clean, but do as PJ notes; put some sort of line on your pump so you can just haul it up and clean it fast and easier.

Ask a Question