• Total voters

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
This idea, though novel, would present some design problems to really be effective. The indoor and outdoor sections must be sealed against any air transfer for obvious reason. This was accomplished in the pond that I worked on by extending the window glass that separates the two (2) sections about 3 inches below the surface of the water. This way there is no heat or A/C loss.
Easy fix, and makes for a nice window. Could work with my idea, just lower the glass from (wherever) into the top portion of the waterfall, about 2" behind it and as you said 4" below it or so to be safe. This would also further prevent anything from getting in or out.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
A bad idea, imo, unless you're looking for a make work project.
By separating the indoor and outdoor space, you are setting up the indoor space for domination by pest species.
I'm not just referring to the water barrier area, Pests such as aphids and white flies will be transported to the indoor space by hitching a ride on people walking in from the outside area.

Dealing with indoor humidity issues for the building is a separate topic.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
A bad idea, imo, unless you're looking for a make work project.
By separating the indoor and outdoor space, you are setting up the indoor space for domination by pest species.
I'm not just referring to the water barrier area, Pests such as aphids and white flies will be transported to the indoor space by hitching a ride on people walking in from the outside area.

Dealing with indoor humidity issues for the building is a separate topic.

I do not know @machuck location, but I would not advise anything similar to this in northern latitudes. These types of water features are best suited for Zone 8 and higher.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I remember back in the 70's they use to put small water ponds inside the entry to the home .We had a couple of California contemporary ranch's in NJ like that .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I do not know @machuck location, but I would not advise anything similar to this in northern latitudes. These types of water features are best suited for Zone 8 and higher.

In zone 8 areas, I would imagine that the interior of the building would have air conditioning which would have to work extra hard removing that moisture, would it not?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
In zone 8 areas, I would imagine that the interior of the building would have air conditioning which would have to work extra hard removing that moisture, would it not?

In the Deep South, especially the Atlantic and Gulf Coast, high humidity is an accepted part of life. All air-conditioning works hard. Relative humidity is 80% at present. Evaporation from an indoor pond would not be noticeable.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
There was a rather spectacular, but little known stone house in SW Washington that I always loved. The owner/builder had built 4 stone houses. The first was pretty much a well done stone box. The last was a work of art. It was, appropriately, built along Rock Cr. There was a large 50x100' pond out front, with fitted stone work all around it and a very nice arched footbridge across the creek to the right of the house. A small diversion dam sent a well controlled small stream over to the upper floor of the daylight basement home. It went under the wall and into the kitchen, with raised stone sides to the stream, across the living room and out through another pass through, over a waterwheel and into the large pond. The daylight basement had large windows across the front the looked out on the pond and the base of the waterwheel. I suppose the house was about 2000 sq. ft., small for something that looked like Frank Lloyd Wright had designed, but really beautiful. After he died it fell into disrepair, we tried to buy it, but the family just let sit there slowly being ruined.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Easy fix, and makes for a nice window. Could work with my idea, just lower the glass from (wherever) into the top portion of the waterfall, about 2" behind it and as you said 4" below it or so to be safe. This would also further prevent anything from getting in or out.

Then you have two (2) ponds not one which was the original question. What you are suggesting will work for two (2) separate ponds. The waterfall could be placed either in doors or outside. Snakes should not be an issue as they prefer sheltered locations. With the pictured pond there are no sheltered areas nearby. The exception to this is the Water Moccasin that prefers basking in the sun, but it only swims with its head above water so they would not be a issue. Additionally a snake would need to swim 4 inches underwater in order to pass the glass barrier. A common water snake could possibly accomplish this but they are harmless.
As explained in an earlier post, the biggest issue will be tadpoles.....while they are young and after morphing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
i can think of this design
usm.png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Ah very true, didn't even think of humidity!
if people have aquariums there , then why not indoor pond? perhaps u can leave lesser surface area in the indoor part may b 6x3 indoor and 6x6 outside or cover it with acrylic just below the waterlevel

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They had that house on again on extreme homes and the guy said they had to install a high tech dehumidifier at a cost of 7 thousand dollars or the walls would drip and it would smell .They had a stream running across the floor of the house that was 2 feet deep

Ask a Question