Half my Comet fry have fantails?

Reaction score
Have this 10 gallon aquarium set up with 100 plus comet fry. It appears a large amount of the fry have fantails and the others have single tails. I know they are still tiny and this is my first comet rear but i can clearly see a difference. At the time of spawning all the fish in my pond were all single tail red, white and brown comets. Will these babies keep their fantail? Is this common? Will the fantails develop more into egg-shaped or not?

Two single tails

left fantail, right single

The tank

Reaction score
Single tail fish can combine to create double tail offspring. I imagine there are double tails in the family tree. I have seen it from the two yellow tamasaba goldfish I just purchased. So is it common? I dont know. Does it happen? Absolutely. Will the tail fuse together? Not likely.

Reaction score
Single tail fish can combine to create double tail offspring. I imagine there are double tails in the family tree. I have seen it from the two yellow tamasaba goldfish I just purchased. So is it common? I dont know. Does it happen? Absolutely. Will the tail fuse together? Not likely.
I guess that will just make it all the more fun seeing what they change into. But if some have fantails and egg shaped bodies i dont think they would do well in my pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
that's so cool! I'm trying to breed my wakin/watonai at the moment so I'm super jealous you got those babies without any effort!! :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
How neat for that to happen. You will have some cool looking fish and I've heard also that those roundy fat fishies can survive the cold pretty good for some members here.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Can this happen the opposite way? Two fancies having single tail offspring?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Some of my comets have fancy tails and fins, but normal streamlined bodies. When I visited a near by breeding farm, the manager explained that they get many different colors and fin types from the same tanks, and then sort them according to what the buyer wants.

Ask a Question