Hallo from Germany!

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hi Forum Members! I found this site while of course researching info for my 4 ponds I purchased about 4 years ago. They were all fish ponds but Me and the family can only eat so many fish. So last year I decided to try my "skills" at creating a wild swimming pond. It is not finished of course, but absolutely beautiful. Dimensions are approx. 40 feet by 80 feet. OK, gonna stop rambling for now since this is supposed to be a simple Hello and will post my experiences in DYI.

Sincerely,
Tom
20190601_100344.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hello! And welcome. A dedicated swim pond requires a lot of work from what I’ve read, but once it’s established, should be good!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Willkommen mein Freund! We are pleased to have you as a member. Which of the 16 states do you live in?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome! nice big swim pond................

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Welcome Tom
I'm confused...
so the fish pond is for eating fish and the swim pond is not for people but fish?
Sort of like an aquatic resort?

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Welcome Tom
I'm confused...
so the fish pond is for eating fish and the swim pond is not for people but fish?
Sort of like an aquatic resort?
Hi qclabrat,
All 4 ponds have been used to raise mainly Brook Trout, Rainbow Trout, Arctic Char, a few sturgeon, etc. for at least the past 50 years I'm guessing. I bought the place cause, well, I like to see fish swimming around while enjoying German beer :)

Sometime last year I read about Wild Swimming ponds and thought I would give it a try. I'm sure I did most of it wrong, but it's a heck of a lot of fun for now. Time will tell with Algae, etc...

Oh, to give you a definite answer, the swim pond is only for people, no fish. The family, at least the girl portion, seem to want a fish free pond to swim in.

Here a few pics, pretty much in chronological order from when I bought the place till almost recent.

Ask a Question