Halloween and trick or treating, 2020 — what’s happening in your neck of the woods?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I LOVE Autumn, and I LOVE Halloween!

I was just curious about how everyone else, and your communities, will be handling TorT this year.

We live in a semi-gated neighborhood of about 300 families, with about 1/2 of those with small kiddos. Our house is in the back end of the neighborhood, and last year we only had about a 1/2 dozen kiddos — disappointing, especially since the FB group talked about how everyone usually runs out of candy. So, we may not have any little visitors at all :cry::cry:...

Through our FaceBook page, I know that some families will be passing out candy, and some kiddos will be TorT-ing, but most are taking precautions (of some sort). Maybe not the best solution, but we are going to hang a candy-filled plastic pumpkin on a shepherds hook by the front walk-way.

We’re gonna leave the light on!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We seldom get kids even on a normal year. Long dark driveway house way in the back. Expecting the same no kids.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
No trick or treaters in our very rural neighborhood. Nearest full time neighbor is 1/4 mile away, our driveway is 600 feet long, uphill. No piece of candy is worth slogging up to my door. :LOL:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I won’t get trick or treaters here at home, but might at work. The town is putting on a parade to toss out candy as due to ice storm there are lots of branches down so it’s considered a hazard to go door to door.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
There were early whispers of Halloween being "cancelled" - uh... like take the 31st right off the calendar, or... Anyway, a tiny rebellion started where neighborhoods and subdivisions started to come together and say nope... we'll be here with candy for anyone who wants to show up. Then the local government said "WE GRANT YOU OUR PERMISSION TO CARRY ON WITH YOUR FRIVOLOUS FUN!" It was quite amusing to watch.

For all those who insist we "follow the science" - the CDC says you are highly unlikely to get Covid from any surfaces, including candy that someone drops in your bucket. You also won't get it in the 4 second interaction that takes place at your front door - takes an extended period of exposure (the most up to date information says 15 minutes or more), and that's if someone actually has it. Kids are already wearing a face covering generally, so check. And it's an outdoor activity - also on the safe list. So yes, we will be welcoming trick or treaters - and they won't even have to touch our doorbell, since we get a stead stream of kids that lasts the whole 4 hours.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Ours is tonight. I live in town and our front yard is all decorated. With this heavy rain we are having, our Mayor has decided not to reschedule. All the other cities around us rescheduled for Saturday. Ongoing battle with her on Facebook. But, we have loads of candy, we will have the porch light on and the cemetery lit up. Hope we get some beggars.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
None for us, We live next to a neighborhood, but we have this long dark driveway with a gate, motion activated floodlights ( The driveway isn't so dark then, just creepy ), and visible cameras, It scares people off, which is honestly what we want, because before we did all of these things, we had a bunch of teenage vandals come and trash a bunch of things.

I won't be going out trick or treating, honestly not enough friends to go with, and we have record Covid numbers here, plus my mom hates me knocking on random peoples doors, yeah........

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I was just curious about how everyone else, and your communities, will be handling TorT this year.

The city here cancelled it, but every connected town is still having it, including where I live.
We don't get trick or treaters on my road, though. Everyone goes to the subdivisions.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Usually the kids don't TorT around my house (too much walking between houses), they go into town or in subdivisions
I have yet to hear what they're going to do this year, hek they probably already started it!
In the last few years, they've been starting several days before the 31st, and in the day time, they say it is to cut down on accidents, it's just not the same to me, like having the 4th of July fire works a week earlier. I just don't get it
smhalloween2.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
We live in a neighborhood with TONS of trick or treaters! We are going to use a homemade PVC candy slide to schwoop the candy down to the kids on the sidewalk. In general, I think this holiday with outdoor fun time is probably safer than some others. It's not that we are super concerned - but we thought this would be kind of a fun thing to do - and safety is a bonus. We wrapped the tube in lights and it is ready to go. I think it will be fun!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
We live in a neighborhood with TONS of trick or treaters! We are going to use a homemade PVC candy slide to schwoop the candy down to the kids on the sidewalk. In general, I think this holiday with outdoor fun time is probably safer than some others. It's not that we are super concerned - but we thought this would be kind of a fun thing to do - and safety is a bonus. We wrapped the tube in lights and it is ready to go. I think it will be fun!

We were going to do the tube thing also. But, rain is happening, so they can just come up on the porch to get out of the rain.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Where the hell did these people come from ?
WE GRANT YOU OUR PERMISSION TO CARRY ON WITH YOUR FRIVOLOUS FUN!"
[/QUOTE]

I would love to see these clowns say that in my presence. We elect you morons to your office you are not royalty or above anyone . these people seem to think much differently.
We do get trick or treaters and we get together with our neighbor and sit on the walk and give out candy. we don't get a lot as we are in between neighbor hoods. I have gone all out on many a year. one year i used a bungee cord tied to a tree in the front yard that over hung a flat roof garage and i jumped down off the roof in front of the kids i dressed like a big black spider kida sorta. It work perfectly but a little too good i learned quick to only jump down on the older kids and parents it was both hysterical and disturbing

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
We're supposed to have it on the 31st. I've bought lots of candy, probably too much. I think we'll set out a basket of candy in little bags and let the kids help themselves. If the weather is OK, we can sit outside on the porch and watch.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Dont get any trick or treaters at our house, we aren’t in a community and have a long driveway. At our old house we used to get a lot of them...

Ask a Question