Hanging Lillies Over Pond Edge

Reaction score
K, so I really need to get my lilies into my new pond, it will help establish some much needed balance (plus I don't want them to die!). I have a semi-raised pond and I am looking to secure them from the wall somehow. I have 3 water lilies and 1 smaller calla Lilly so they are all rather heavy.

I am also looking for creative ways to secure my floating plants too (water rose and parrot feather), just don't want them floating all over and also want them to help hide some stuff.

Any ideas????

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There are plant pot hangers made out of metal, plastic that have a large hook with a ring for the pot. You might find some that will fit over the edge of your pond and hang down, you could then put the plants in the ring.

Even a decorative bucket with a handle, you could figure out a way to hang via the handle, put holes in the bucket for water flow.

Reaction score
I've been trying to find something like that for a while but no go. Even found some links to vendors but they no longer sell the item.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Look for stucco wall christmas decoration hangers, I have some from arizona, they hook over the stucco wall, with a large hook you could hang the pot from.. They are plastic.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
laughing forgot about those, I was stuck on hanging on wall!

Reaction score
I actually had trimmed up my floaters and tied them with nylon cord and suspended them with a rock on the ground as a temp solution/shade. I thought about fish line but was afraid they would get tangled or cut themselves on it, is it safe to use?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just use floating rope, it works well. I don't have koi that love to eat plants.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Build the koiguy floater ring and tie the fishing line around that to the rock on the side, now I keep mine next to the edge of the pond not in the middle. Now if you want them in the middle you could do the same thing just use a rock as an anchor and drop it below the floater ring. If you don't want to use the fishing line, get the green stretchy stuff that gardeners use to tie up their plants to stakes, I have also used that. If you aren't worried about your floaters being eaten by your fish then you can just make the ring and it will keep your plants coralled.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you could take heavy coated wire they sell at lowes and bend it to fit around the pot and then bend a loop or hanger and hang it from the side wall of your pond .You can also get plain wire and use that rubberized coating stuff they sell for grips on tools .You just dip the wire in it and let it dry and then bend the wire .The garden department at lowes and home depot sell a wire hoop made up already all you would have to do is brush the coating on it and then bend a wire to loop it over the side of your pond .The rubberized stuff says it is non toxic .I bought it for my screw drivers

Reaction score
We actually are using the PlastiDip Spray coating for the jets and peices in the pond, it was recommended to us! Yeah, I guess we could just get a prefabricated one and bend it to our needs then coat it,

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Jenn why don't you just sit your lillies in the bottom of the pond? If it is too deep use a milk crate or something to bring it closer to the surface.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
true and that would also if you cut the one end out give your fish a place to hide

Reaction score
So our temporary fix on the lilies is that we ran nylon chord through the baskets and tied the chord to a really heavy rock on the ground. It's not pretty but it is working for now. Wish we could find some black nylon chord though, it would be a whole lot less visible.

Ask a Question