j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hey I didn't even know it was earth day yesterday but while I was walking the day before yesterday I noticed a little red maple tree seedling trying to grow on the side of the roadbed. The mother tree nearby was a gorgeous red tree. So I planned and yesterday brought my little weed digger tool and a small cup w/moist soil and dug that little seedling out and brought it home and planted it.

Here it is and below it is one of the same kind I dug up a few yrs ago.
IMG_6588.JPG

IMG_6589.JPG

And here is the Oak tree below that I transplanted @CountryEscape that I thought might not have made it through winter but yay it did and leaves are coming out now.
IMG_6590.JPG

Seven Sons trees below that I got as cuts off of neighbors trees are making it nicely too now. There is one in front and then one way behind in the background. Now if the deer just leave them alone. Can't wait till they get the white blooms on them at the end of Summer that smell heavenly!
IMG_6594.JPG

And White Lilac tree below another neighbor gave me a start from years ago is getting wonderful fragrant blooms now.
IMG_6593.JPG

I divided a bunch of Heuchera's (Coral Bells) that I had around the gardens and planted them all along the back deck on both sides of steps. Had Hosta's all along there before but they didn't do well cuz when the afternoon sun reached them it scorched them something awful. They love shade. Heuchera's here can be in sun or shade cuz it does not get too hot for them here. Now they need to get growing. I'll give them some Alfalfa meal and some all purpose fertilizer later and that will get them going.
IMG_6592.JPG

IMG_6591.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I love a nice heuchera display! What are the names of those varieties you've got? I've got a 'Marmelade' in the front garden which has leaves which are orange on top and bright magenta underneath - I divided off the new growth and have planted them along our drive - hoping they do ok this year!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have Citronelle which is the bright greenish yellow ones.
18391_D218-0422091gk.jpg

And Blackout which has a tint of red to it also.
DETA-63.jpg

Have Frost, leaves are silvery w/red veins and not sure on a couple others,one mostly reddish and the other kind of greenish w/red veins.
Frost:
heufr2.jpg

One kind of like this:
heups1.jpg

and a reddish one like this:
heub7.jpg

They have so many now, I need to get more!
Here is a site that shows some beauties and your Marmalade pretty one is in there too: http://heucheras.com/

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Those are really nice red maples jw .I thought heuchera was shade loving .I know my hostas are on the shady side of the house and under trees and ones in back only get morning sun

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@sissy Heuchera are shade loving but here we can get away w/putting them in sun cuz we don't ever get blazing heat. Just have to make sure to keep them mulched and moist. The Hosta's did not like it one bit when the sun hit their buns :)

@Becky yep there are so many new ones now in all different pretty patterns, leaf shapes and colors!

Ask a Question