harbor freight pump

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Am looking at a 2150 gph waterfall pump for my new bio waterfall that I am installing this fall. My pond is between 1200 and 1500 gallons.

Is this to much force? The pump I presently have is not this strong which is for my two small spitters.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have that pump and if you get it buy the extended warranty

I use sump pump hose 1 1/4 there are 4 of them one going to one filter and one going to the other and some above coming out and some below

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The only problem i am having is that cover saves the pump but there is no prefilter and it gets clogged with plant roots my koi keep ripping apart .I am thinking of taking it out of the pond and making some kind of prefilter .The fish cause it to shut down and had no problems with it before I put plants in .

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
I have that pump also, if you read the manual on harbor freights website, it can be used as a external pump also. So you could make a prefilter and use it out of the pond also Sissy.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thats what I am going to try to do as aggie and bert won't leave the plants alone .I have built an L bracket frame under the bridge to hold the pump and now just want to figure out a prefilter that is easy to clean and yet large enough to handle the amount of water going through it .Those smaller prefilters don't work they clog up in half an hour and can't think of anything that would be easy to lift out to clean but yet large enough to not restrict the flow to the pump .Tried a crate it is just to darn heavy to pull out plus when you pull it out half the gunk in it goes back into the pond .Got any ideas any one .

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
Small rubbermaid container, whatever size you want, drill a hole for your intake hose, and then drill a bunch of holes in it all over the place, and you can use whatever type of media you want, from coarse to fine. depending upon how much stuff you want to filter out.

I did have one cave in on itself, but the only reason was because it was the beginning of the year, and blanket weed had grown in and clogged all the holes. But thats the good thing about using a rubbermaid, if the holes all clog up and the pressure sucks itself in, the lid will just pop open and let more water in, and you wont burn out your pump.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Tried that and as you are pulling it out all the stuff just drains into the pond with the water coming out and is heavy as anything until you get the water to drain and then that just dirties the water .There has to be a better mouse trap as the saying goes .I tried one of these with a rope tied to it

Not the pressurized but the flat ones in the back of these with filter media that had wider mesh so the fine stuff could go through and the heavy stuff picked up .I even tried it with a bunch of bio balls i had .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have tried the flat one before, but it kept floating. No matter what I did, it floated. The pump I am now using is in one of the shoebox shaped filter boxes. Which works fine, as long as I don't put it at the very bottom of the pond.

Am trying to figure out how to do the external pump thing with this harbor freight one. By the way, bought it today on sale at $69.99 with an additional 20% off and $9.99 for the 2 year warranty. This is by far the cheapest I have purchased a pump for my pond.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I got mine last year when my other harbor freight pump burned out and took it back with the warranty they replace it with this one and now they have a 3200 gph at my local harbor freight .

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
Tried that and as you are pulling it out all the stuff just drains into the pond with the water coming out and is heavy as anything until you get the water to drain and then that just dirties the water .There has to be a better mouse trap as the saying goes .I tried one of these with a rope tied to it Not the pressurized but the flat ones in the back of these with filter media that had wider mesh so the fine stuff could go through and the heavy stuff picked up .I even tried it with a bunch of bio balls i had .

What did you use for media inside it? Mine is pretty fine, havent noticed a bunch of runoff when i pull it out. and mine is heavy, but its big too. you can always use smaller containers.

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
I got mine last year when my other harbor freight pump burned out and took it back with the warranty they replace it with this one and now they have a 3200 gph at my local harbor freight .
oh it is onsale for 69.99 this month only it is in there ad

Why cant i find that pump on the website or in the ads they emailed me? point me in the right direction sissy!

Ask a Question