sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
had one still have it and it is at least 5 years old if not more .If you use the 20 % off coupon it is even cheaper

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Great pumping power at 2150 gph and mine used around 175 watts .It is built with the same cage that laguna pumps come with .I had something chew through the wire and fixed it with the waterproof shrink wrap .It was a piece of wire that was out of the water anyways .It has a really nice long power cord also .I had mine going to 2 filters and I actually think it pumped more water than my 2900 gph pump from laguna .I think I even put a pic of the pumping power it has on my pond rebuild

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I paid a little extra for the extended warranty but had to say I did not need it .I got mine for less it was on sale back then for 59 dollars and got 20% off .I have 3 or 4 harbor freight smaller pumps that are 10 years old and still work perfectly .The only thing is they are not very energy saving pumps .Put right now I have 2 laguna pumps 2900 gph and 2400 gph and combined the 2 are using 125 watts .So to me not a big difference .There are lots of pumps out there that come with only a 30 day warranty .

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I paid a little extra for the extended warranty but had to say I did not need it .I got mine for less it was on sale back then for 59 dollars and got 20% off .I have 3 or 4 harbor freight smaller pumps that are 10 years old and still work perfectly .The only thing is they are not very energy saving pumps .Put right now I have 2 laguna pumps 2900 gph and 2400 gph and combined the 2 are using 125 watts .So to me not a big difference .There are lots of pumps out there that come with only a 30 day warranty .
And I wouldn't buy any of them. I am a firm believer in the old adage--'You get what you pay for'. It has served me well over the years.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I don't want external pumps because then I would have to take it in and with our shifting temps that is to much work .I have never had a problem with internal .I turn them off and turn them on and once in awhile I pull them out to clean them .I am not one that thinks you have to buy the best of everything and put out a lot of money .If you are on a budget you stay on that budget .I have tetra pumps that have lasted and some that didn't and it is the you never know .I buy what I can afford at the time .My one laguna was a gift from my son and my other one my sisters said buy it and it is our gift to you .Sure if you can afford all that fancy stuff go with it but budget is budget

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I will get one Sissy as they look well constructed to me and being mag drive means they are easy to take apart and clean and less likely to overheat.

That's funny Meyer Jordan, That does hold true to an extent. I bought a set of lights from HD that were 3 submersible lights with only a 2ft chord in between and payed $70 for them, popped the caps off and sealed them with marine sealant to be safe only for water to get into 2 lights from the back chord inlets and short out 1 month later when my 6 lights set from Ebay cost me $45 and has 3ft in between each light and are much brighter than the HD (24 LED each light) ones and are still going to this day. A HD pump also went out on me after 6 months as the magnetic cylinder that the impeller shaft goes through was unbalanced and ate away the outer magnet walls slowly causing it to overheat and be really noisy at the same time.

I feel you can pay too much for an item because of the brand name, I also believe you can find good reliable items that have not "Taken off" yet and get them cheaper, or you can go straight to the source... the maker.
I have (2) 55 Gallon Aquariums and both are almost the same filter in almost exact size, exact filter baskets and the outer filter housing being a tad different except my cheaper one that has a 9w UV clarifier.

The "Marineland" brand one pumps 360gph and cost $412
http://www.marineland.com/Products/...anister-filters-aquarium-canister-filter.aspx

The Original Manufacturer one that has UV pumps 370gph and cost $57
http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Gallon-...550?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27ebb9b7ee

Both have been running for almost a year now with no issues :D

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I didn't get that one but I own a couple other Harbor Freight pumps, all which still work, going on year 5 with one of them.

I am a firm believer in the old adage--'You get what you pay for'.
I can understand that, but sometimes paying less twice is still cheaper than paying more once.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Also when you pay more once what happens when it dies and you cry .I have seen some expensive pumps that use more than 5 or 600 watts .I am not a professional ponder and I don't have expensive fish so cheap works for me .A name means nothing these days if companies don't back there products up .These days it is happening more and more . I at least knew my hf one worked .

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I will get one Sissy as they look well constructed to me and being mag drive means they are easy to take apart and clean and less likely to overheat.

That's funny Meyer Jordan, That does hold true to an extent. I bought a set of lights from HD that were 3 submersible lights with only a 2ft chord in between and payed $70 for them, popped the caps off and sealed them with marine sealant to be safe only for water to get into 2 lights from the back chord inlets and short out 1 month later when my 6 lights set from Ebay cost me $45 and has 3ft in between each light and are much brighter than the HD (24 LED each light) ones and are still going to this day. A HD pump also went out on me after 6 months as the magnetic cylinder that the impeller shaft goes through was unbalanced and ate away the outer magnet walls slowly causing it to overheat and be really noisy at the same time.

I feel you can pay too much for an item because of the brand name, I also believe you can find good reliable items that have not "Taken off" yet and get them cheaper, or you can go straight to the source... the maker.
I have (2) 55 Gallon Aquariums and both are almost the same filter in almost exact size, exact filter baskets and the outer filter housing being a tad different except my cheaper one that has a 9w UV clarifier.

The "Marineland" brand one pumps 360gph and cost $412
http://www.marineland.com/Products/...anister-filters-aquarium-canister-filter.aspx

The Original Manufacturer one that has UV pumps 370gph and cost $57
http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Gallon-...550?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27ebb9b7ee

Both have been running for almost a year now with no issues :D

Yes, one can find less expensive items, but when a manufacturer only gives a 90 day warranty they are, in effect, telling the buyer that they do not expect the life span of the product to be much longer than the 90 days.
I buy products based on quality of material used in manufacturing and warranty.
Maybe I see things differently than most folk, but time is valuable to me and can better be spent than on frequently replacing poorly manufactured products that will likely have a short life span.

Incidentally, the 2 links that you provided are for filters, not pumps.

Let me just pose a question: Would you put tires on your vehicle that were only warrantied for 90 days if they were cheap?

P.S. I don't buy pond equipment from HD or Lowe's. No dependable life span.

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
How many companies warranty tires ,come on .I bought goodyear tires and they dry rotted in a year .Did they cover them big NOPE,found out there is a date on tires when they are manufactured and mine were manufactured 3 years before I bought them as new from a goodyear tire store .How many things do you buy these days that do not have a warranty at all .Lots of things cell phones .most small appliances ,tablets ,puters ,I could go on .My time is retired

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
How many companies warranty tires ,come on .I bought goodyear tires and they dry rotted in a year .Did they cover them big NOPE,found out there is a date on tires when they are manufactured and mine were manufactured 3 years before I bought them as new from a goodyear tire store .How many things do you buy these days that do not have a warranty at all .Lots of things cell phones .most small appliances ,tablets ,puters ,I could go on .My time is retired

Sorry about the Goodyear tires, but that was the dealers fault and he should have replaced them.
Yes, many things do not carry a warranty these days and I don't purchase them if there is an expectation of the product lasting for extended periods. If a manufacturer is not willing to stand behind the quality of their product, it tells me much about the product.

Out of curiosity, I looked up the warranty provisions on Goodyear tires. The warranty time is from DATE OF PURCHASE, not age of tire. After One (1) year, it is prorated on tread wear.

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Well considering i am retired and don't put many miles on my vehicles It should have been covered but goodyear would not do anything .I got a flat at the grocery store and tow driver changed the tire and mentioned the dry rot on them all .Problem is explorers do not drve very well on other brands of tires .I have not gone back to goodyear since .No oil changes no nothing from them any more .These tires looked like brand new .I had hardly used the truck because it was about the time my hubby had his heart attack and I do not like driving his suv .I prefer my own explorer sport trac

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have one from harbor freight that I bought 2 winters ago and still good :)

Ask a Question