Harbor freight pumps

Reaction score
I have been looking cause i got a smaller pump from them about 2 years ago and still works wonderful but they have some incredible prices on pumps depending on how long they last: Here is a 3200 GPH for 59.99 and they have bigger http://www.harborfreight.com/review/product/list/id/3354/#customer-reviews

what you guys think? I am a diesel mech. and i have some of their tools you just really have to watch what you get some of the stuff is incredible and some is CHEAP!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I have 2 of them in my pond right now. They have been running flawlessly for 3 years. I had to pull them several times to remove string algae, but the outer case protects the pump.

Reaction score
You can get virtually the same pump from laguna here: http://www.lagunaponds.com/lagunaeng/maxflopumps/maxflo1500.php?link=141 that runs for 100w versus this harbor freight one for nearly three times the wattage. It may seem cheap on the front end, but you will be paying dearly for it every month. Harbor Freight pumps are not known for their low wattage--most cheap pumps aren't. Folks think they are saving money and getting an inexpensive pump, but they never think about the monthly running costs--which end up being way more.

For a submersible pump, Lagunas are knows for energy savings and being a work horse. Spend a little more upfront, and you will make up for it after 6 months of usage.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I like working with real numbers that can be verified. So lets do the math so all concerned can get a feel for the real cost.

In So Cal the baseline is $.04 per KWH for electricity.
The HF pump at 270 watts, running 24 hours costs $.26 a day.
The Laguna pump is 100 watts is about $.10 a day.
In 365 days, the savings are $58.00. So now it comes down to how long do each of them last? HF sells full replacement guarantees for 10% of the cost that are 3 years.
What is Lagunas cost and guarantee? and is it 100 watts in a 3200 GPH pump?

I can't seem to get the high priced pumps to last more than 2 years.

Oh; the national average is $.06 per KWH, so others may wish to use this when calculating costs.

Reaction score
The Laguna in question is 3000gph and runs around $129 bucks. You can go up to the next size, which runs 4000gph (and still only consumes 100 watts). It will pay for itself in one season thanks to the low wattage consumption.

Noobfisher can certainly read reviews online to verify the quality of the Laguna pumps. It's a submersible brand that many folks swear by. I never had a stitch of trouble with mine.

Laguna pumps are warranteed for 3 years without having to pay a single penny extra. Will be repaired or replaced at no charge.

Reaction score
I already have my pump got it from Lowes its 1000 GPH as i made the pond smaller than originally thought, BUT i did buy a 190 GPH for a little water feature deal i have. Really running the pump in the front pond the rear pond all the lights i put in for them. i do not notice a difference in my bill but i never really pay that much attention. Both of you make valid points as DR.dave has proven it is a 58.00 a year diff. Many people would never notice 5 dollars more a month? Just a thought But Keeper did make a point about it being cheaper in the long run to buy the more expensive one unless it does not last this is where harbor freight shines cause they offer a service plan with no question replacement guarantee that works.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
The current sales price of $59-95 at HF and $6 more for the no questions asked replacement gauarantee, beats the $329 Laguna which can be bought for $189 on sale.

Reaction score
DrDave said:
I like working with real numbers that can be verified. So lets do the math so all concerned can get a feel for the real cost.

In So Cal the baseline is $.04 per KWH for electricity.
The HF pump at 270 watts, running 24 hours costs $.26 a day.
The Laguna pump is 100 watts is about $.10 a day.
In 365 days, the savings are $58.00. So now it comes down to how long do each of them last? HF sells full replacement guarantees for 10% of the cost that are 3 years.
What is Lagunas cost and guarantee? and is it 100 watts in a 3200 GPH pump?

I can't seem to get the high priced pumps to last more than 2 years.

Oh; the national average is $.06 per KWH, so others may wish to use this when calculating costs.
As I was reading this the national average sounded way off. I did a report for the HOA I belong to in my neighborhood to save some of our money for bills and electric power was at the top of the list. I also bought an extra refridgerator about 6 months ago and the yellow Estimated Yearly Energy Use card that is in all appliances uses National Averages had used about 11.5 cents. I just checked this site - http://www.eia.doe.gov/cneaf/electricity/epm/table5_6_a.html
To make sure. If we want to be accurate we have to use what people are actually spending per KWH. Base rate is one thing, but you have to add all the other factors that depend on your electric company. There are things like delivery fees, surcharges, and lets not forget state taxes. You may even get charged just for maintaining an account.
I used this calculator to make it simple http://www.themoneyalert.com/ApplianceCalculator.html
My electric company charges 12 cents per KWH. I used the pump I bought, a Sequence 3600 @ 3600GPH, uses 139W and used the calculator for both pumps, the Harbor Freight at 270W, it comes out to a $141 savings per year. Sequence also has a 3 year warranty. So the first year is a wash, by the end of the 3 years you got almost $300 in savings. I love Harbor Freight, as I call it "The Crack House", I went there for a hole saw kit for $7 and came out 1 1/2 hours later with a cart full of stuff. I considered there pump. I would rather pay it now while I have it, then be nickel and dimed through out the months and years ahead. I can afford it now, but maybe down the road I may need that extra $10 -$11 a month. Oh, and has nothing to do with this but the hole saw kit I bought, had a deffective saw in it and I have to return it. So I'm sure I'll find some other crap I "need".
Anyway, the only reason for this post is for accuracy, you need to use your own electric bill to calculate costs to be accurate.

Reaction score
that is one heck of a deal on that pump, i was going to buy it at 99 bucks, but i got lucky and found a laguna 2900 for 60 bucks and couldnt pass that deal.

it is all about watts and what you will be paying. Looking at my electric bill my avg cost per kwh is .12 for the first tier and .24 for tier 3 which i happen to always fall in. So looking at real cost is something to look at. The laguna for the same gph would cost 200+

Reaction score
DrDave said:
I did a quick search and found this:
http://www.amazon.com/Laguna-Max-Fl...6?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1276480237&sr=8-6

Please share with us the site that sells this pump for $129. This one uses 130 watts.

Nationalpondsupply.com has the 1500 pump for $127.95 plus free shipping. I would recommend calling any internet pond advertisers, as you'll likely get a better price since they are strapped to their MSRP's when posting prices. This site are the people behind Webbs Water garden, by the way--and they will provide a 4 year warrantee on the pump. I don't know if DoDad sells the Laguna brand, for example.

Readers can go to the Laguna site and see the accurate watt usage for each pump. This one is, as I said, 100w. The two sizes up from this one are still 100w.

Just offering another product for someone to look at as a possibility that I know is of good quality, has excellent energy consumption and others on this site have already vouched for.

Unfortunately for me, my kilowatt price is not what it is in CA, so energy consumption is something that is critical to me with every plug in item I buy. I can either pay for it on the front end or I can pay for it on the back end many times over.

Reaction score
Oh, and that reminds me! I'm selling one.

I just fetched my Laguna PowerJet 1500 (same as Max-Flo, except it has the waterfall/fountain outlet too) out of the garage. I can confirm the 100 watt usage as per the Laguna website.

If anyone is interested in buying it, I'm listing it here in the Classified forum for just $55 plus shipping.

Reaction score
could it fit in those flat rate shipping boxes? Or how much do you think ship to Ohio would be?

Does it come with the "fountain kit"?

Im looking for a fountain to put in, are these easy to clean? Are they known to clog often? Im using only a 400gph pump that is a lttle weak for the fountain i want and clogs every few days....

Ask a Question