Hard to find nice Koi

Reaction score
I live in a very rural area, we do not have many options on where to buy Koi, has anyone used Ebay? If all else fails, guess its to Pets-Mart......

Michele

Reaction score
I have used Ebay. AKO (American Koi Online) is one such vendor. None of the koi on average sells for less than $50, and then you have to add shipping on top of it. The shipping is usually the killer in the equation. AKO's father owns Blue Ridge Hatchery in NC, and his son has this little side business selling some of the koi. The kid is in NYC going to college while doing this.

I tend to not like to buy fish online after it starts getting hot. I always feel like I'm going to open the box and find a stewed fish.

And, of course, there is Petsmart, yes.

Reaction score
Good point about the heat. I have just located a pond place about 150 miles from home, so maybe I should take a day trip and see what I find... I agree with the shipping charges, I would have to really want a special one to justify that much just for shipping!

Some of those koi on Ebay are beautiful though!!!

Reaction score
I think it's a great day trip. We do the same thing. In the fall, lots of places have fall harvests and you can get 'em cheap. I have one breeder that's easily a 1 1/2-2 hour drive, but it's a fun thing to do.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Shipping charges is not so bad when you buy several fish in one bag,

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I have bought 6 koi off ebay...
Its fun