Hardest summer ever with the pond.

Reaction score
First with the harsh winter a 100 baby Koi then the blue Harron landing getting another.then mallards landed leaving disease -treatment then the Musk rat leaving more- more treatment over the last 3 days, Pro Form C 2 days then Pro Form C and Prazi. Looks like we are finally on the mend. In 35 years of ponds I haven't had this much trouble accept when Chem lawn sprayed my pond. Hope next year is better.
Getting read to upgrade circulation, skimmer, pumps, UV and filters get that water quality up to the highest I can. Don't know anything else but build a green house over the pond this year- in the making.

How is everyone else doing in Northern Ohio?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Well, I'm in southern Ohio, Cincinnati to be precise. My pond just didn't have the crystal clear water this year, that it usually does. I was surpassed , as I rehomed fish and removed my gravel bottom. I've had no fish losses, just have to clean skimmer and filter often and water not real clear. Hoping next year is better:)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Best wishes for a better year next year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Sounds like a rough season for you. Hope you are over the hump and things stay well.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
W/o bad luck no luck for you at all. Get to building that green house :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
plants did not grow the way the should have but I was not surprised since mine was new this year .I just think it was all to blame on the harsh winter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Nohandles, Sorry you had so many problem this year. For whatever reason I had almost no problems at all this year. Sometimes I think it's almost the roll of the dice. You can do everything the same and some years are either better or worse than previous years.

Reaction score
35 years of Koi ponds only once did I ever have a problem, when Chem Lawn sprayed the pond killing them all. It was definably Flukes body and gill found them after doing a scraping and looking under the microscope this morning. Funny there was no flashing or scratching going on at all? Oh well everyone is alive this morning but mopping around should see them back to good health by tomorrow.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sorry to hear of your troubles with the pond and fish. Hang in there though, it will get better

I'm in the Cleveland area and have not had any trouble with the pond or fish this year (only been doing the pond thing for about 5 years now but this past winter was the first time the fish were left out all winter)

Reaction score
Really upset today lost my show Koi Gin Fin Kinda Shewa this morning nick name Mini Pearl. Guess a little late for her. All the others are ok eating well after being spooked with storms all night. Really bummed she was the star of the Koi show.

Reaction score
Yesterday I was ready to pack it in and just give up- really miss Pearl. She would get into my hands and rub around one day I threw her into the pond like a shark she came back to roll around again what a great fish she was. Today I got to go on a pond tour- good timing seeing some ponds in the area- not without troubles this year but one in particular 12500 gallons but 8 foot deep. Renewed energy going to rebuild the pond to bigger and 20000 to 25000 8 to 9 feet deep in the spring. Last pond for us getting to old and tired to do it again.

Ask a Question