Country
United States
got some left, they will be on their way tomorrow

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Silly question? What is an oil pan? I've used pond baskets in the past, but always interested unlearning new ways:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Mine came today also! A big thanks Addy. Also in a bucket of water till Sat.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I went to Dollar Tree and got mine. They are just plastic bowls for $1. I'll fill the bottom with a little gravel, lay the lily on that then fill it the rest of the way up with gravel. I have my white lilies in black oil pans and my colored lilies in colored bowls. I give away white lilies when I rehome fish in the spring.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I hear dishpans work well too. I'm not sure on their price compared to other containers, though.
th

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I hear dishpans work well too. I'm not sure on their price compared to other containers, though.
th

They don't like corners, I had one in a pan like that it really grew weird and not the best. At least mine didn't round works the best for mine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I'm pretty excited ! I bought oil pans at Walmart yesterday - think they were $3.97. I also bought the plain clay kitty litter. After stopping at the fish hatchery for information, I worked osamocote really well into the kitty litter, making sure none was floating on the top. I bought a more sturdy plastic fencing that the bird netting I've use before, and covered and zip tied the pans:)

I place two of the Sunset Perrys ( not rue I got the name correctO0 on top of my predator rock, as it's raised off the bottom, in hope they'll get a good start there. It is close to my waterfall, which is kind of powerful ( not on at the moment), so want to learn how to regulate the flow of it, to make it more gentle.

Thank you so much Addy for the lilies! Now onto building a little container bog / snippy, for my bog plants:)

P.S. After the waterfall, I'm going to work on float in baskets - priced wreath forms and pots at Walmart yesterday.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sounds great, just remember lilies do not like a lot of moving water. Splash can spot the leaves too.

Ask a Question