hardy lily over winter

Reaction score
i had a water lily in my pond last year and it grew just a little bit and winter came around, i wasn't aware that you should bring it inside so i left it outside all winter and we had -40 a couple days, yesterday it got warm enough that i was able to get it out of the pond and i put it inside in a large jug full of water on the windowsill where direct sunlight hits it for about 5 hours a day, is it possible that it may be alive or is this just a lost cause?
thank you

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
As long as you did not have it water that was too shallow and the tuber froze it should be fine like mrsclem says. Mine were under 8 inches of ice all winter and are now growing. The water was around 2 feet deep where they were.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I leave my hardy water lilies in all year round and they are down about two feet w/ no problems :nananananana:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine have new leaves! and growing great.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I can't see mine as the water turned green from the sunshine we've been having. I need to get my pump and filter up and running again. It's supposed to be 60 here on Wednesday :regular_waving_emot

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We got our "real" pump running today......yippee! need to do some tweaking but it ran through the bog beautifully.

Reaction score
It is a hardy lily, and it actually was not in any water at all, I drained the pond in the fall because I took the fish inside, it gets way too cold here I would have to make the pond around 8 feet deep which is way too much for me.
I just assumed they were like bulbs where you can just leave them and they return next spring, I guess if it lives I got really really lucky, if not I will just go and buy another few later on

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Aww ok, if the tuber froze it might / most likely will not come back. But no harm in trying to see if it lived, sometimes plants surprise you.

I put some non hardy mums in a planter, solid ice, snow in pots so the roots and the entire plant froze. But they are now growing! go figure. They were supposed to be good for only one season. so give it a try

Reaction score
Thank you addy for the positive attitude, it's true plants are strange that way, annuals Plants sometimes come back perrenials sometimes don't and sometimes when you think the plant has completely died it comes back with a fierce vengeance lol, I think it might just be about which part freezes first and what temperature it is. Heres fingers crossed

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't give up on anything until it is brittle lol.

To build our new garage, we had to move a huge lilac bush! huge! So to move it I dug around it no luck, finally just wrapped a chain around the sucker (at least 10 foot tall) used the tractor and yanked it out of the ground. Towed it across the yard with a chain around it, stuck it into the ground tied it to the fence. This was last summer, we had a dryer and hotter summer than ever before here. The poor thing looked dead, all leaves gone.

Well It is now budding out! I may have lost a few of the branches, very few. So all plants get to stay until they turn to mush or brittle.

2.gif

Reaction score
yeah i deffinately agree with you, i never give up on my plants until they are dust lol, i try like 100 things before i ever get around to throwing a plant out and even then i still have a hard time with it. i have had plants that have gotten down to little tiny sprouts on the brink of death and turned them into large budding bushes...i would say it's almost a fulfilling feeling when you turn a quite hideous dead plant into a blooming conversation starter.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I don't either, I had take great steps to save my plants. Since I sell them as well, I have to learn and share. Sometimes my loving wife intefers and pulls plants when I'm not watching though.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i give away way more than i sell since I don't sell anything lol But plants and animals have a place in my heart

Reaction score
Haha I wish one of you 2 lived next to me, where I live we have a pretty limited selection of pond plants and an even more limited supply of pond fish especially koi, if we need good large koi we have to order them it's really hard to just buy them from someone in the city unless you go to a pet shop which still only has tiny koi which are rare to find in nice colors...but we do what we have to lol

Ask a Question