Hardy Water lilies for postage

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Hi, I will be separating some of my hardy lilies in about 2 weeks and will be happy to share for free, just pay me postage. I got my original lilies from Menards, and have: Dark red, Pink, Dark pink w/white outer petals, maybe a few white. I also have a peach colored lily called Georgia Peach. Please PM me if you are interested in any of these. Again, I just ask that you reimburse me for postage. I have to separate my lilies every spring, so keep this in mind when you make your request. What started as one tuber per pot is now 5-8 tubers. Each lily will take up approximately 3-4' diameter water surface. I will send complete instructions on how to pot them and grow them. They are VERY easy to grow. Mine are in full sun, but I would guess they would also do fine in part sun/part shade. May not bloom as much, I would assume.
Oh, and I also have Water Parsley (some call it Water Celery, maybe the same plant?) that is varigated green/white and a touch of pink. Spreads well, can be somewhat invasive, but easily pulled and controlled. Stays about 6" tall in bogs. I have mine in my water bogs, in from 0-4" of water. The new shoots are really coming on fast, and I want to thin them out, so these are also available.
The last thing is dwarf cattail. The roots will be heavy (probably heavier than the lily tubers) so keep this in mind when asking for however many you would like. Also keep in mind these spread, but tend to stay within a small area and not jump too far when they send new shoots.
If you have any other question, feel free to ask!
Patti - south central Illinois - Zone 5B

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I'll be doing more pulling and dividing this coming weekend. If anyone is interested, please let me know. If you want to spend a certain amount on postage, I'll be sure to give you your money's worth. I will have red, pink, and I think white lilies. My last pot of Georgia Peach refuses to sprout, so I'm afraid it has died, and hate to send dead tubers. I also have lots of dwarf cattails, water parsley (some call it water celery), water clover, and penny wart. The last 3 are very light weight, and spread easily. But, if you don't want anything that is somewhat invasive (they are easy to pull, so I don't call them bad invasive), then these would not be for you.
The lilies are larger tubers, and heavier, so keep that in mind. The cattails are large, but not as heavy as the lily tubers, but they take up a larger box. I'm the type that knows how to use a larger box and go straight priority mail, rather than using the "flat rate" boxes, when it is cheaper. When I sent out lilies and other plants 2 weeks ago, the boxes ranged from $6 (for 3 lily tubers) to $29 for a pretty good sized box of lots of everything.
I go on the honor system. I will send you what you want, when you receive it, you send me a check. I hope that everyone is happy with the free plants, even though I ask for the postage. Keep in mind I have other packing materials I'm not even charging you for (zip loc bags, packing to keep the plants safe from drivers that like to toss boxes around, etc.). I enjoy sharing, and hope others enjoy receiving! I call it paying forward. I was given lots of plants over the last couple of years, and have learned so much from this Forum that it is my way of sharing with others. PM me if you are interested in any or all of what I have to offer.
I will try to post pics of each of the plants that are growing tomorrow.Thanks.
Patti

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Here are some pics I took this morning. The water clover is not growing enough to send starts just yet, very small, it will look like I didn't send anything! So, mark that off of the list. Here is the Penny Wart. It gets about 6-8" tall, I think it blooms, but mainly it's a green and glossy looking plant, staying fairly short, 6-8" tall.
Penny Wart.JPG
Dwarf Cattail (it's varigated, green and white leaves, gets about 4' tall, much smaller "flowers" - cattails)
Dwarf cattail varigated.JPG
Water Parsley, you can see all the colors. It gets to be about 8-10" tall, and spreads easily.
Water parsley.JPG
The Penny Wart and Water Parsley need to be in shallow water, level with top of pot, down to maybe 2-3" deep. The cattail could be grown in a pot under water where the top of the pot was 6-10" deep, or in a bog, as I have mine.

Ask a Question