has annyone bought koi/goldfish from petco or their local fish store

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a (10 - 15 degrees F)
Country
United States
I have a koi that I got 2 years ago at Petsmart, and he is a huge, beautiful favorite now! I also have a pet store shubunkin (my only goldfish), from about 2 years back that is now nearly 10" and simply incredible.
Clive 2.jpg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've gotten my goldfish from a variety of places. Believe it or not, the ones that have done the best came from Wally-World (I kid you not!)

One thing to keep in mind is to ALWAYS quarantine new fish!

JBailey

Jack of all trades; master of some
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Yay for free fish!
We discovered a new baby goldfish yesterday, so my Petco school allowed at least one fry to survive.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I bought six shubunkins at Petsmart as the "starters" in my new pond. One died, one disappeared, but the remaining four overwintered fine and are healthy, breeding and very friendly.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9A
Country
United States
What's a good method of quarantining the fish before putting them in the pond?
I'm thinking a separate tank/container (with a bubbler), with your pond water for a few days beforehand?
Thanks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm thinking a separate tank/container (with a bubbler), with your pond water for a few days beforehand?
Thanks

I buy a little $15 fountain pump from Harbor Freight and stick it in a plant container filled with lava rock or similar. This goes in a 35 gallon container. I keep about 4-6 fish (4-5" each) per container and have never seen ammonia in the QTs any time after the bio filter is established.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks
Do a search on here for quarantine, or start a new thread for fresh input (your question will get lost in this one). Many ways to proceed, but the main point is to keep new fish isolated for a period of time before adding them in with existing fish (not necessary to quarantine your 1st batch). I quarantine for a minimum of 4 weeks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I bought a dozen feeders from PetSmart 5 years ago when I started a pond. All but 1 died within a month. That one is still swimming strong. (I ended up going to more reputable garden center for replacement fish which to this day are doing great also). I think it's a crap-shoot buying at PetSmart, Walmart or any of those discount places. Sometimes they all die, but then sometimes you end up with some pretty awesome fish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I bought a dozen feeders from PetSmart 5 years ago when I started a pond. All but 1 died within a month. That one is still swimming strong. (I ended up going to more reputable garden center for replacement fish which to this day are doing great also). I think it's a crap-shoot buying at PetSmart, Walmart or any of those discount places. Sometimes they all die, but then sometimes you end up with some pretty awesome fish.

You reminded me... one time i bought 10... not 1, but 10.... rosey red minnows from pets smart. I arrived home and put them in a tank with a filter and an airstone.... Not one survived over 3 days. I was feeding them praziquental medicated food to kill any possible flukes.

Oh well, so much for adding some minnows to my pond. Wish there was a reputable place to get rosey red minnows.. i know they are cheap so no one makes a living off them.

Anyway, one of my baby celestials is from petco, and a sarassa goldfish has been with me for a year from petsmart. Most of my dojo loaches are from petco. It's really a crap shoot. If you are going to get fish from these stores you need a month isolation for sure. Too risky.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
We have a couple of pond places here that sell them. One is Aquascape's store. I've also seen them outside at a pet store. Maybe most are destined to be feeders as they have some feeder gold fish out there too. I got mine from Aquascape and had a couple of early fatalities. Since then, no problems. One even decided to jump out and I found him on the floor still moist. Still doing fine.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
If it's minnows you're after, try a place that sells live bait for fishing. Some are quite happy to look for a particular variety if you offer them double their going price. ;)
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have 2 shubunkin and a handful of goldfish from Petco - so far so good.

Ask a Question