Has anyone ever had a cat catch a fish?

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
I was talking with a friend on another forum and he said he would like a pond but was thinking his cats would eat the fish.

Now I have had cats and pond for decades without problems.

Has anyone ever had a cat kill and or eat fish ?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've "heard" of it happening, but not first-hand. My cats (5) are indoor cats, but have had attempts at getting at aquarium fish. Those attempts never end well for the cat, though. I guess it would depend on the cat and how close it could get to reach in and snag a fish -- probably more of a crime of opportunity that develops into a fun game.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I've heard of feral/wild cats catching fish, but most personal pets just seem to enjoy watching the movement. Our cat has gone out and tapped the water and gotten the koi to come up, but then she backs up like a little kid. She doesn't like the bigs ones coming up and kissing on the surface. but she does like koi food as a treat! It's pretty much like anything else when keeping animals, As long as taught what is acceptable and what isn't most pet cats would probably never bother the fish in the pond.

Reaction score
Ive never heard of it actually happening, although I guess anything is possible. Tell you friend that it is very unlikely, but if he thinks his cats are #1 mousers and determined to catch pond sized fish, to get a water/spray bottle, and each time one of his cats goes near the pond, squirt them with water. They'll learn that dad doesnt want them over there.

Reaction score
I didn't see it, but the remaining evidence pointed strongly towards cat. Rebuilding the first pond, I had my goldfish in a kiddie pool on my covered front porch. The kiddie pool wasn't covered, I had floating fake plants in the pool. Came out one morning and only had one fish left alive. The kiddie pool also had a lily and some other pond plant in it, only the fish were damaged. Claw/tooth marks looked most like cat. We have semi-domesticated cats previously feral kittens in the 'hood. I blame them. We had one older cat, regular visitor, neighbors very spoiled cat who would come to visit to drink the water from the fountain. He had no interest in the fish. Straight sided pond sides probably do the most for keeping cats away from the fish, not many cats willingly go swimming. Think my kiddie pool was shallow enough the suspected cat could just walk around shoulder deep.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
My thread so fee free to talk about cats.

I recall a few cats that learned they needed to mind when the person with the spray bottle was around. We switched to scary bobby traps. Specifically weak mouse traps in the potted plants.

One cat knew exactly how far the spray bottle would shoot. He would go down to the end of he hall turn and bitch. That worked for him till my wife got him with a super soaker. She did not give up till that cat was dripping wet. I do not recall what his crime was but I am sure he had it coming.

Neo

Nick
Reaction score
We have a lot of semi/feral cats around my house because my neighbors let them outside and don't get them spayed or neutered and they are multiplying like crazy. So far none have bothered my pond but they sure like to use my vegetable garden for a litter box. I finally took the bird netting (bought for the pond) and just put it over my plants instead.

Reaction score
Fish are not a normal food for cats, who typically hate water. The common belief that cats catch and eat fish comes mainly from the hundreds of pictures we have seen of various cartoon cats licking their chops next to the empty fish bowl. That isn't to say cats won't fish. Something bright and shiny that darts away when you go after it is clearly a kitty toy, and a cat's job is to catch it. Most people who report verified cat predation find the fish lined up in a row on the ground near the pond -- trophies, not food. I am sure that there are cats that fish and eat their prey, but I think they are few. The homeless cats that live around my place (I can't really call them feral, since they are nearly all pets who were left behind when their owners moved) sometimes look at my fish or take a drink from the pond, but nothing more.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
My cat loves laying on the bridge or jumping up on the waterfall so he can watch the fish swim around... but I've never seen him try to catch a fish. He also has a healthy fear of getting wet, so I think getting splashed by a scared fish would be enough to send the cat running.

Neo

Nick
Reaction score
My cat thinks He can catch one through glass.

966093_3173752759053_250981863_o.jpg

He was actually outside for over a year living in the backyard with my pond and only watched the fish. Finally I felt sorry for him and took him inside.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I did have a cat that would swat at the fish. He did manage to get a couple of fish out of the pond. Needless to say the fish did not survive. My husband did the water gun thing and it worked. We now have another cat and he loves to watch the fish eating their food in the morning. He also likes a few of the fish food as a treat as I feed the fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Fish first became avialable on the cats menu in WWII because meat was rationed here in the UK.
Weve had two families of cats and non have ever bothered to go catch fish infat they sleep by the pond side.
I believe this is because the pond is in their turf and because of that they dont bother but should any other cat come into their turf they will fight them and chase them off , so weve had no trouble with cats trying to eat fish

rgrds

Dave

Ask a Question