Has anyone had a dog that had seizures?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
My mix breed dog has had four seizures in the past 24 hours, One very scary one! I can't get a local vet to see me until in the morning. I've never experienced this before and I'll have to say it's really freaking me out. She's a two year old mixed breed, not over weight, very active, has anxiety attacks, some what blind in one eye, pscitsophrantic (sp?) crazy, and completely unpredictable. But she the sweetest girl to me. If anyone has experienced a dog with seizures can give some suggestions until I can get her to the Vet I would appreciate it very much!

Attachments

• Endy 7 2011.jpg
    Endy 7 2011.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 303

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Larkin has she been drinking and peeing a lot if so this could be diabetes and she could be having low blood sugar seizures, if her pee is very clear this is a sign that she has been drinking a lot. We also kept a corn syrup at our house for our dog who was diabetic. The symptoms were similar to a person who was diabetic, he would fall on the floor and shake, you would just give him some corn syrup and within several minutes would be ok. We couldn't feed our dog anything but special dog food and had too give him insulin twice a day once we did this we never had any problems. Good luck.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My pit bull had siezures and they did not start until she was about 8 years old and the vet never found out what was causing them after tons of tests and then we moved to VA and the vet noticed the only time she got the seizures was after she got her rabies shot .We did not get her rabies shot the next year and she did not get seizures and since she was a house dog and fenced in the back yard and only left out when we were home and we always kept an eye on our dogs ,we were not to worried about rabies .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
oh and by the way fishin love that cute smile she has what a cutie I can see why you love her

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Sorry to hear about your dog having seizures. A friend of mine at work has a dog that has seizures due to low potassium. She has to give the dog potassium every day (along with an anti-seizure med). However, the vet told her to feed her dog white rice, which has a good amount of potassium in it and is not harmful to dogs. During a seizure, my friend just holds her dog to keep her calm, and after she holds her because she is wobbly on her feet and she has to be watched so she doesn't fall or walk into anything. I hope the vet can find out why this is happening. Good luck and let us know.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
we are now up to 5 today, I did give her a little syrup and rice, she only ate a little so we mixed it with some cat food, (her favorite treat is to lick the cat bowl clean) LOL She finished that right up! She's been sleeping a good bit this afternoon. The last two weren't as severe as the ones this morning. I'll have her at the Vet at 8am sharp! I've been reading up on all different types of seizures off and on today and have a note pad full of notes and observations to give the Vet when we see her, hopefully she'll have fewer this evening and get a decent night sleep. I see there are many possibilities, but we can eleminate most of the controllable ones as no toxins, not running loose, no exposure to other dogs, Don't feed chocolate, she has been on a specific diet so we can work from that.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
BTW, Thanks everyone for the replies!!!! may not seem like much but the reassurance is a big help, AT LEAST FOR ME!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My yorkie is, only by a slim bit, second to my hubby........I can totally understand.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
was wondering how the vet visit went and how your little girl is and if the vet took test and found anything .And gosh geeze just hope everything is good with the cutie pie .

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Well we got to the Vet. she didn't have anymore after the last update last night. The Vet took blood and is going to do a screening, they put her on a sedative to help calm her down a little for right now, just a mild one and they also gave me a medication to give her if she does have another seizure before the results get back. Won't get that news until late this afternoon or in the morning. They feel like either she got a hold of a toxin ( Chocolate, something possible outside such a plant, or maybe gor into something out of the trash) Or she has epelipsy. The good news at this point is she's back to pretty much her normal self today other than being a little sleepy from the sedative, and the Vet doesn't think it did any permanent damage. The bad news is that we now have to keep her on a strict diet, and if it is epelipsy she will have to take medication twice a day for the rest of her life. And I can't use my prescription discount card on her! LOL

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have been waiting to see you come on with the news and that sounds great .You may have to check on all the plants you have on your property I know when they diagnosed my Hunter with thiroid problems I had to give him meds' every day of his life he finally passed away last summer from kidney failure and broke my heart .So now the wait for the tests

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
hunters thyroid meds cost me 60 dollars every 3 months but worth every penny .He was diagnosed when he was about a year old and lived to be 12 years old and I still miss him

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Well the blood results came back and they requested a urine sample. That wasn't a easy task, but we got one and took it to the Vet. It appears she may have gotten a hold of some type of toxin, such as something from a plant, food, or chemical around the house. She has now gone 24 hours since a seizure, They prescribed here phenalbarbital, If she has another seizure we start her on them right after she comes out of it and alert. If not we hold off and watch closely. So for now it's pretty good and she seems to be doing fine.

Ask a Question