Has anyone used Rock on a Roll?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Hey Everyone! I am starting to think again with hope about getting my pond finished. I swear my body has aged ten years since I did my last one. I am very sure I won't be able to move the kind of rocks I did last time. With that in mind, I was thinking about the area between the bog and the pond. All the Aquascape videos have me envisioning MASSIVE boulders moved with excavators and a crew of artists to put them in place. But no. It will be just me and my weak little muscles. I was thinking if I used Rock on A Roll over that area between the bog and the main pond, it might look like a big rock in the ground! I could break it up with smaller boulders and possibly even a log of some kind. I wonder if that could give the illusion I'm hoping for?

The picture I will attach is funny. We were expecting rain and I didn't have a big plastic sheet yet to protect the edges of the excavation. So I used our (very large) stash of old bath towels/rags. The area I am talking about is in the upper right corner. That is the bog. The wall between bog and pond is covered with red and white bath towels. Do you think RoaR could be used effectively here? Would it look like a big old boulder in the landscape? Or would it just be a mess?

Attachments

• IMG_7826.jpeg
    IMG_7826.jpeg
    331.4 KB · Views: 97
  • RoaR.png
    RoaR.png
    202.2 KB · Views: 90

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Hey Everyone! I am starting to think again with hope about getting my pond finished. I swear my body has aged ten years since I did my last one. I am very sure I won't be able to move the kind of rocks I did last time. With that in mind, I was thinking about the area between the bog and the pond. All the Aquascape videos have me envisioning MASSIVE boulders moved with excavators and a crew of artists to put them in place. But no. It will be just me and my weak little muscles. I was thinking if I used Rock on A Roll over that area between the bog and the main pond, it might look like a big rock in the ground! I could break it up with smaller boulders and possibly even a log of some kind. I wonder if that could give the illusion I'm hoping for?

The picture I will attach is funny. We were expecting rain and I didn't have a big plastic sheet yet to protect the edges of the excavation. So I used our (very large) stash of old bath towels/rags. The area I am talking about is in the upper right corner. That is the bog. The wall between bog and pond is covered with red and white bath towels. Do you think RoaR could be used effectively here? Would it look like a big old boulder in the landscape? Or would it just be a mess?
I have used RoaR in my previous pond, the texture of that stuff is pretty nice, and I could see it working in your pond, however be aware it is insanely hard to work with, pretty dang stiff and hard to mold around corners.

If anything I would say it is best used on something such as the bottom of the pond for a less slippery and more natural looking base, although if your do decide to use it I would just order one roll to start with so you can see if it meets your expectations.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have used it, put it on a few places the liner just could not be hid. It grows algae looks just fine down the road. Yes stiff a bit hard to work with, but if you (put on gloves) roll it around a bit, fold un fold it loosens up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I was thinking I would just use it on that one large area to give the illusion of a large rock in the background. I wouldn't want it to be perfectly smooth, so maybe the tendency to to be stiff might make for some interesting texture.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It wrinkles bumps etc that is how i did it. Looks fine.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'd have to say total waste of $ below water line as algae will grow over it Above grade its perfect to hide black liner

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hmmm, I might look into that at some point. But, if you have the $ for it, I know there are fake rocks that weigh a fraction of a real one that can be bought. I’ll see if I can find a link.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
They’ve got a wide selection, and include pond ideas, sone nice looking stuff. From what I’ve seen, their stuff looks good, works well, and the folks running the place take inspiration and model their products after real rocks and trees.

Ask a Question