Has anyone used this as bio filter material?

Reaction score
At Home Depot last night in the tool rental section I saw these floor buffing pads.

IMG_3671.jpg

They had different coarse ones - some finer and some not so much. $6 for 17" material...cut up into chunks and thrown in a mesh bag. Seems to me to be a good deal for material. Anyone tried it?

- Randy

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I haven't, but have seen others post that they have and they work great.

Reaction score
I use it a mechanical filter and it does a good job. I use bio balls for the bio filter but Im sure that the mats have some bio on them as well. There is a lot of surface area so I would think that it would work ok as a bio material.

Reaction score
randythawkins said:
I am curious...what makes you say "better for mechanical than bio"? What consideration makes you say that?
I can only go off the picture but it looks like it would do a good job of filtering out debris as water passes through it. That is mechanical filtration. Biofiltration is performed by "biobugs" that grow on surfaces in a pond and its filter. They need clean media with lots of oxygen. The bacteria may begin to flourish in these pads but as the pads become covered in debris like poop and dead plant matter, their effectiveness will greatly decrease. Biofiltration is the process where these bugs "eat" and convert ammonia and nitrite into nitrate. I think if I were going to use that material for biofiltration, I would use them after I had already mechanically filtered the water, and I would cut it up into one inch square pieces, to increase the surface area.
Sorry, I am a moron. I just reread your original post and realized your intent was to cut it up and put it into mesh bags. Sounds like a good idea. I would still try to stick them after some sort of mechanical filter.

Reaction score
dieselplower said:
I can only go off the picture but it looks like it would do a good job of filtering out debris as water passes through it. That is mechanical filtration. Biofiltration is performed by "biobugs" that grow on surfaces in a pond and its filter. They need clean media with lots of oxygen. The bacteria may begin to flourish in these pads but as the pads become covered in debris like poop and dead plant matter, their effectiveness will greatly decrease. Biofiltration is the process where these bugs "eat" and convert ammonia and nitrite into nitrate. I think if I were going to use that material for biofiltration, I would use them after I had already mechanically filtered the water, and I would cut it up into one inch square pieces, to increase the surface area.
Sorry, I am a moron. I just reread your original post and realized your intent was to cut it up and put it into mesh bags. Sounds like a good idea. I would still try to stick them after some sort of mechanical filter.
OK, gotcha. To rephrase...it would work good as either mechanical or bio but the difference is where it is placed in the system and if it is forced to act as mechanical then by doing that job it looses it effectiveness as a bio. Would that be a correct restatement?

In my case I will already have mechanical filtration in place and would place these in my biofalls. But if I ever need to replace my mechanical material this would also be a good candidate.

thanks!

Reaction score
Looks like I need to take a trip to home depot. My biofalls filter pads could use replacing although my basin is pretty large and square.

Reaction score
TekWarren said:
Looks like I need to take a trip to home depot. My biofalls filter pads could use replacing although my basin is pretty large and square.
I was back at another HD last night and in their tool rental area they had, I believe, square ones along with the round ones. I could be mistaken as I did look to see what they had but didn't bother to pick anything off the shelf.

Reaction score
randythawkins said:
OK, gotcha. To rephrase...it would work good as either mechanical or bio but the difference is where it is placed in the system and if it is forced to act as mechanical then by doing that job it looses it effectiveness as a bio. Would that be a correct restatement?

In my case I will already have mechanical filtration in place and would place these in my biofalls. But if I ever need to replace my mechanical material this would also be a good candidate.

thanks!
Yes sir it seems you have a good understanding! If I were going to use them as mechanical filtration, I would use them as full pieces, rather than chunks in a bag. Good find!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you can buy them at equipment rental places also .Lowes carries them also and you can get them online and also on e-bay

Reaction score
We used them this year in our Bio filter. They worked great, just cut them up into 8 pieces. We initially threw them in whole and they weren't working so well. But once we cut them up the pond cleared in days. It was awesome, good luck

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
the medium and course work better if i remember one is red and the other is blue

Ask a Question