has anyone used this product

Reaction score
or any product made by this company?. seems very cheap. i may have paid more for my aqua 25w. thanks in advance.

Jebao 110 Watt UV Sterilizer

Click Images To Enlarge

The Jebao 110 watt UV Sterilizer Kits provides permanent control of algae. It removes heavy algae blooms usually within 5 days and keeps the pond algae free. This UV Sterilizer clears water while reducing pond maintenance. It is compacting, durable, easy to install and energy efficient and delivers full power from the ultraviolet bulb (bulb included). Good for ponds up to 30000 gallons of water.

Features:
Compact, weatherproof design
2 x 55 Watts 2G11 base UV lamp included
Max water flow 4400gph
Max pond size 30000gph
Inlet/outlet size: 1.5" PVC & 2" PVC
Length: 24.5 inch
Clarifies heavy algae blooms and prevents recurrence
Delivers full power from one bulb for one year
Reduces maintenance for a beautiful pond
Flexible and Rotatable inlet/outlet connectors
Compliments the water garden ...compact, durable and attractive
Includes mount for use with other device
Complete with 22 ft cord and sealed plug
UL LISTED
30-days warranty excluded UV light bulb

Reaction score
I just installed the Jebao single 55 watt unit for my pond when I set up my Phoam Phractionator. http://www.gardenpon...m-phraxionator/
It seems to work fine.
I think most of these UV units out there are way over priced to begin with, I paid just over $100 for the 55 watt Jebao unit and a spare bulb, a local pond place sells a 12 watt unit (different brand) for about the same price (no spare bulb). To me the choice is as clear as my pond water is now. LOL
gallery_3859_189_55944.jpg

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
My buddy has had his 35wt Jebao for almost three years now and he still really likes it. Bulbs are not overly expensive (Like many models) to replace, works very well, and quality vs cost seems to be one of the best deals on UV lights right now. make note though, they aren't made high quality. they are plastic, If you notice how Mucky's is set up. mounted to a wall inside with flexible line attached to both ends. I would recommend setting up very similar to that. Don't hard pipe directly to a pump, there could be enough vibration to cause light bulb issues and the fittings could easily crack over time. Also another good notable thing I notice in the Pic of Mucky's is the valve on the outlet side, that's a good idea as well, it will allow the flow rate through the Uv to be more regulated and it's there to shut the water off when maintance needs to be done.

Reaction score
understood. I current have a 25 w aqua that is set up with a separate pump. My main pump is 4.5k and hour and this uv light says that is the acceptable flow. Should I still use my smaller pump on the bigger uv or plumb it through my larger main pump? I don't know the rate of the smaller pump. i would have to fish it out and scrub off the many pounds of algae.

Reaction score
i'm guessing 5-6k. i'm taking a good look at the water and it sort of looks brown and not green. may have a tannis problem.

Reaction score
Dieing algae can turn the water brownish too, but water is always murky or cloudy. If just tannins the water can be brown (tea) colored but still be clear. It's possible to have both algea and tannins in which case it will be brown and murky.
Actually the specs you listed say "Max water flow 4400gph", and you say your main pump is "4.5k and hour", so your main pump is slightly too high, and since UV lights tend to be more effective with a reduced flow, it would be safer to go with the smaller pump to be sure.
However it is likely that your main pump is not pumping the full flow, so you probably do fall just close to within the max flow rates for the UV light. Perhaps you could simply restrict you main line a bit, while you are running your UV light, to be sure you stay well within the specs. You may not need to run it like that for long.
I only hooked up my UV light less than a week ago and my water is crystal clear now, so I unplugged it already, no point wasting lamp light and using electric power if I don't need it.

It's nice to be able control an aglae bloom with the flip of a switch. :)

Reaction score
Forgot to mention, some people plumb in a bypass with UV lights, so basicly you plumb the main pump so it pushes the water through the UV filter and an alternate route and you have a valve to adjust the flow rate through the UV unit.
Frankly I think you could use the 55 watt unit if you did this, and save a bit of money. The 55 watt unit is plenty for your size pond.

Reaction score
Ok I just read this post https://www.gardenpondforum.com/topic/9391-clear-water/
In that thread you said the water was green and you were running your UV lights. So it sounds to me like you have a lot of dead algae floating around in your pond and that is probably why it is going brown.
Two things you can do, water changes and/or filter water through a finer filter. Quilt batting works good for that, run the water through the material somehow and change it often.

Reaction score
thanks very much! tomorrow I will perform a larger than normal water change and try to get some finer filtration.

Reaction score
hello, Today I did my water change and that's the only thing that changed. The water is still nasty. Thanks for the quilting tip. I put one in my skimmer and how gross it was! It was so bad that I have to keep a constant eye on it as it became so clogged my pump was sucking air. All day tomorrow I will keep changing the batting. I wish I could use sissy's tip with the laundry basket but it won't fit under my waterfall.

Reaction score
Sounds like you have a lot of dead algae in there. Keep changing the batting and here is the best way to do water changes.
It wont happen over night, but if you keep it up your water will clear up, might take a week.
It would be better if you could find a way to filter your water through that batting at the other side where your water returns to the pond. Say above the waterfall, or after that smaller pump you have?

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
A word to the wise; each year I get people bringing bits and pieces of pond or fountain related electrical things with the question "can you fix or replace this?" Most of these items carry the Jebao or Jebo labels, and so far NONE has been repairable. In most cases it's just cheap plastic that has cracked or crumbled, and getting replacement parts is impossible. Electrical components also seem sub-standard. I would never waste my money on this brand!
John

Reaction score
A word to the wise; each year I get people bringing bits and pieces of pond or fountain related electrical things with the question "can you fix or replace this?" Most of these items carry the Jebao or Jebo labels, and so far NONE has been repairable. In most cases it's just cheap plastic that has cracked or crumbled, and getting replacement parts is impossible. Electrical components also seem sub-standard. I would never waste my money on this brand!
John
Nothing could be worse than my old Nursery Pro pressure filter John. That thing leaked from day one. First around the o-ring where the UV tube fit in, then where the large o-ring where the main body halves fit together. Then yeah, plastic parts started breaking and screws holes got stripped. Fortunetly this UV unit is more of a, set it and leave it, type of a unit, unlike the pressure filter which required constant cleaning and maintenance.
However, if it leaks or breaks I'll be sure to report it here. Right now I have no more need of it so it's turned off. Possibly I'll run it as a sterilizer in the fall just before I shut things down for the winter.

Ask a Question