Have I fed my new koi to the three year olds?!

Reaction score
St. Lawrence River Valley, The Thousand Islands
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
This evening I found the most beautiful baby koi at Walmart--such bright colors and such beautiful, graceful fins! So, I purchased 6 for $8 each. We have a c. 9000 gallon pond with 4 3 y.o. koi. Encouraged by what I have read, I introduced the beautiful new babies slowly into the pond. They proceeded to innocently nibble at algae. Well, within a few minutes, the 3 year old bruisers became very active and seemed to stalk the babies. What looked like a violent chase of the smaller fish by the big ones ensued. I hope and pray the newbies have survived unharmed!!! I went out with a flashlight just now to look for them, but the algae is too dense to see very far....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Hope they find a hiding place. I've never had existing koi chase the newbies. And I have some pretty big koi. 9 year olds that are probably 18"-20" with some serious girth. But usually any new fish will disappear for a while until they become comfortable, familiar, acclimated or whatever you want to call it. It can take a couple weeks or more for them to catch on to the feeding procedure. Meanwhile I'm sure they live off of plants and algae.

Reaction score
St. Lawrence River Valley, The Thousand Islands
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
Hope they find a hiding place. I've never had existing koi chase the newbies. And I have some pretty big koi. 9 year olds that are probably 18"-20" with some serious girth. But usually any new fish will disappear for a while until they become comfortable, familiar, acclimated or whatever you want to call it. It can take a couple weeks or more for them to catch on to the feeding procedure. Meanwhile I'm sure they live off of plants and algae.
Thank you. This is reassuring. Fingers crossed.

Ask a Question