Have Well Water. Why Is There Chlorine in My Pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Got a water testing kit for my aquarium a few days ago. Wasn’t shocked at all that the test read there was no chlorine detected since I’m on a well. For the fun of it I did my pond. 0 nitrites, 0 nitrates, 0 ammonia….put traces of chlorine were detected. Huh? Is there something in nature that naturally produces chlorine?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It is possible at one time or another your well had issues and they may have dumped some down in the well to kill bacteria etc if you have a shallow well its even more likely

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Test your well water just to make sure or maybe you already did. Shouldn't be in there tho but I would want to know just to eliminate all possibilities.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Bingo, exactly what I was thinking. Salt dumped in a pond that has some stray voltage from an electrical device and the potential for chlorine exists.

in my research that’s what I’ve seen…I do have quit a few granite rocks in and around the pond. Would they leach salt/sodium into the pond? I’m not a chemist so I have no idea if that’s a thing or not lol.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I find your question very interesting and would like to figure out what is causing the chlorine. Is your pond lined? As @Lisak1 asked, is there any salt in the pond? Could there be runoff from your yard flowing into the pond? Do you have any electrical equipment (pump/filter/heater/lighting) inside the pond? What about shale or limestone as @GBBUDD asked?

Ask a Question