Have you winterized your pond yet?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I closed my pond a few weeks ago by clearing off all the plants and placing a floating grid. So far there's been no sightings of those dreaded herons and I hope it stays that way

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I don't really need to do too much here to winterize mine. I just turn off the big aerator and that's about it. We don't freeze much here. I do leave my waterfalls running and the filter. I had to put high large holed weaved fisherman's netting over mine to keep the heron out. Once they find your pond w/o a net it's all sushi to those birds and they don't give up till they get every one of them. I don't know what area of the U.S you live in as to how cold you get there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Not really. We're just now getting into serious fall here, and while we did have some pretty cold nights at the beginning of last week, we still haven't had any frost/freeze at my house yet. I did cut back all the lilies the other day to make leaf scooping easier, and also have pulled out all the water hyacinth (I had to clear out that part of the upper pond to make sure we didn't have an edge leak) Nothing else will need cutting back until after we get a good freeze, which could be a couple weeks or more away. After that, the only other thing we do is remove & clean the filter mats/bags in the biofalls, but that won't happen until leaf drop is completely over in late November/early December. The waterfalls are kept running all year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We put up a greenhouse over our pond for winter. This is the latest the pond has been open since we built it. It's just not cold enough yet to cover it.

We did take out the taro and other tropical plants a couple of weeks back, and put those inside. But it has warmed up again and we haven't done anything else.

Since the pond is covered and the water never freezes, we don't shut anything down. It all runs year round. The plants that stay in there do get cut back. But with this crazy weather, that hasn't even been necessary.

Moni_Pond

Fish Mom
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I closed my pond a few weeks ago by clearing off all the plants and placing a floating grid. So far there's been no sightings of those dreaded herons and I hope it stays that way
I know that this post is from a year ago, but I am very curious about what a floating grid is. I’ve been toying around with different ways to cover my pond this year and would love to hear more about the floating grid if you don’t mind.

Ask a Question