Having a bad day.

Reaction score
Just wanted to come share my bad day. I went and rescued a border collie pup from my grandparents that live out in the country. Took him home last Thursday and all was good until yesterday when he stated limping and now today he can't stand :( He eats/drinks but his body is in pain. Took him to the vet today at 10am,was there till about 12:30, the vet still has no idea what is wrong with the little guy so he is on antibiotics and anti-inflammatory medicine but he still can not stand. I love animals and have rescued animals from my grandma's neighbors before and I am just wore out and angry. I took 3 cats last year and brought them home because they were starving and now they currently have a St.Bernard and did have this puppy but I took it...The vet said he would have died in this condition with no care so I feel like I did the right thing but now this pup is struggling to live..I am praying hard he makes it. I just don't understand how people can do this to animals.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Would the S.P.C.A. be able to do anything? People like this should be banned from owning animals! John

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I can't even let a injured bird lay without trying to help it. One reason the heron is safe here, will not shoot it, but sure will make it miserable to be here, if I can.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Blessed will be sending prayers for the little pup.....does he have a name? I am a rescuer also and can't stand to see animals suffering. Only have my 2 cats now but if I ever find anything in trouble I will bring it home no matter what it is to try and help it, then turn it loose when healed if wild or find a good home if domestic. Good for you for doing your best for the poor little fellow. I hope he makes it!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Being you took it to the Vet I would hope they would check but first thing in the morning ask them if they found any ticks. sure sounds like it could be tick paralisis, If they find and remove the tick soon enough, ( If that's what it is???) it will usually clear up in just a few days. I've seen this a few times and usually found a small tick in a hidden spot like in between toes, under it's legs, near it's ears, or in the folds near it's privates. I hate to hear any animal suffering and hoping my suggestion might help.

Reaction score
Thanks everyone..I just checked on him and he is still in good spirits but still falls over when I try to get him to stand. I did find little bugs in his bedding (but none on him) that I took to the vet for her to tell me what they were..she said she thought they were tick nymphs but were so small she couldn't see under the scope very well, they were as small as poppy seeds and did have blood in them when I smashed them on the floor. I have bathed him 3 times since having him and never seen a flea or tick come off him just found all in his bedding. She did not check for tick paralysis but said she thought it could possibly be a tick disease and so we are trying the antibiotics first but if this doesn't work we have to do a different antibiotic that she doesn't really want to use because he is so young but we may have to if the current one isn't working. I am up all night with him just rubbing his little body and he is loving it,if I leave he whines. His name is Reese because he is brown/white :)..my friend was actually going to add him to her family but I told her we will have to see how he does,I would hate to give her a sick pup and this could get expensive. Blood work was done and all were suggesting some sort of infection,something using up I believe his red blood cells?? Not really sure I forgot exactly..so much going on in my head. Anyhow there is no animal control to call where my grandmother lives, these people get animals when they are young and cute and leave them to fend for themselves outside. They all end up at my grandmothers because she feeds them and loves on them..so far they have gotten a beagle pup,St.Bernard,those poor kittens,this border collie and have a yorkie who must be super special because it actually lives inside, I can't save them all but I am doing the best I can right now. I will update everyone tomorrow as we got at 11am for a recheck. Thanks and good night.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
That is so kind of you, I hope little Reese gets better soon. Those neighbours of your grandparents should be banned from keeping animals if they are incapable of caring for them. At least you're there to rescue them!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yorkies are super special, as mine sleeps in my lap making it hard to type!

Good luck with the pup, it is in good hands with your help.

Reaction score
Good morning everyone Reese is still not wanting to stand on his own and hadn't had a bowel movement in days and I knew he had to go but tried holding him up with my arms and he would only pee..so I took a towel and made a sling and he finally went...that has made me feel a little better but I just hope they figure out what is wrong. Larkin I looked up tick paralysis and it does sound like what he has so I am going to bring this up to my vet today..seems like a long recovery for the little guy if so. Will be back later thanks for all your comments and prayers.

Reaction score
I went ahead and got his picture for everyone to see this cute face.

Attachments

• IMG_7588.JPG
    IMG_7588.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 299

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States