Having a bad day.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by blessedfamily, Sep 28, 2011.

1. blessedfamily

blessedfamily

Just wanted to come share my bad day. I went and rescued a border collie pup from my grandparents that live out in the country. Took him home last Thursday and all was good until yesterday when he stated limping and now today he can't stand :( He eats/drinks but his body is in pain. Took him to the vet today at 10am,was there till about 12:30, the vet still has no idea what is wrong with the little guy so he is on antibiotics and anti-inflammatory medicine but he still can not stand. I love animals and have rescued animals from my grandma's neighbors before and I am just wore out and angry. I took 3 cats last year and brought them home because they were starving and now they currently have a St.Bernard and did have this puppy but I took it...The vet said he would have died in this condition with no care so I feel like I did the right thing but now this pup is struggling to live..I am praying hard he makes it. I just don't understand how people can do this to animals.

blessedfamily, Sep 28, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. blessedfamily

HARO Pondcrastinator

Would the S.P.C.A. be able to do anything? People like this should be banned from owning animals! John

HARO, Sep 28, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. blessedfamily

baeya

You have a kind heart. I hope the vet can figure out what is wrong and make him better. Good luck and keep us posted.

baeya, Sep 28, 2011
  4. blessedfamily

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

I can't even let a injured bird lay without trying to help it. One reason the heron is safe here, will not shoot it, but sure will make it miserable to be here, if I can.

addy1, Sep 28, 2011
  5. blessedfamily

j.w I Love my Goldies

Blessed will be sending prayers for the little pup.....does he have a name? I am a rescuer also and can't stand to see animals suffering. Only have my 2 cats now but if I ever find anything in trouble I will bring it home no matter what it is to try and help it, then turn it loose when healed if wild or find a good home if domestic. Good for you for doing your best for the poor little fellow. I hope he makes it!

j.w, Sep 28, 2011
  6. blessedfamily

fishin4cars True friends just call me Larkin Moderator

Being you took it to the Vet I would hope they would check but first thing in the morning ask them if they found any ticks. sure sounds like it could be tick paralisis, If they find and remove the tick soon enough, ( If that's what it is???) it will usually clear up in just a few days. I've seen this a few times and usually found a small tick in a hidden spot like in between toes, under it's legs, near it's ears, or in the folds near it's privates. I hate to hear any animal suffering and hoping my suggestion might help.

fishin4cars, Sep 28, 2011
  7. blessedfamily

blessedfamily

Thanks everyone..I just checked on him and he is still in good spirits but still falls over when I try to get him to stand. I did find little bugs in his bedding (but none on him) that I took to the vet for her to tell me what they were..she said she thought they were tick nymphs but were so small she couldn't see under the scope very well, they were as small as poppy seeds and did have blood in them when I smashed them on the floor. I have bathed him 3 times since having him and never seen a flea or tick come off him just found all in his bedding. She did not check for tick paralysis but said she thought it could possibly be a tick disease and so we are trying the antibiotics first but if this doesn't work we have to do a different antibiotic that she doesn't really want to use because he is so young but we may have to if the current one isn't working. I am up all night with him just rubbing his little body and he is loving it,if I leave he whines. His name is Reese because he is brown/white :)..my friend was actually going to add him to her family but I told her we will have to see how he does,I would hate to give her a sick pup and this could get expensive. Blood work was done and all were suggesting some sort of infection,something using up I believe his red blood cells?? Not really sure I forgot exactly..so much going on in my head. Anyhow there is no animal control to call where my grandmother lives, these people get animals when they are young and cute and leave them to fend for themselves outside. They all end up at my grandmothers because she feeds them and loves on them..so far they have gotten a beagle pup,St.Bernard,those poor kittens,this border collie and have a yorkie who must be super special because it actually lives inside, I can't save them all but I am doing the best I can right now. I will update everyone tomorrow as we got at 11am for a recheck. Thanks and good night.

j.w likes this.
  8. blessedfamily

Becky Administrator

That is so kind of you, I hope little Reese gets better soon. Those neighbours of your grandparents should be banned from keeping animals if they are incapable of caring for them. At least you're there to rescue them!

Becky, Sep 28, 2011
  9. blessedfamily

Yorkies are super special, as mine sleeps in my lap making it hard to type!

Good luck with the pup, it is in good hands with your help.

addy1, Sep 28, 2011
    blessedfamily likes this.
  10. blessedfamily

blessedfamily

Good morning everyone Reese is still not wanting to stand on his own and hadn't had a bowel movement in days and I knew he had to go but tried holding him up with my arms and he would only pee..so I took a towel and made a sling and he finally went...that has made me feel a little better but I just hope they figure out what is wrong. Larkin I looked up tick paralysis and it does sound like what he has so I am going to bring this up to my vet today..seems like a long recovery for the little guy if so. Will be back later thanks for all your comments and prayers.

11. blessedfamily

baeya

Hoping and praying for little Reese...........have to go to work soon, but I will be checking in all day to see how he is doing.

baeya, Sep 28, 2011
  12. blessedfamily

blessedfamily

Thank you..I think with lots of work he can get better, I will try and post a picture later.

13. blessedfamily

blessedfamily

I went ahead and got his picture for everyone to see this cute face.

Attached Files:

j.w likes this.
  14. blessedfamily

baeya

Awwwww, he is so cute, but he looks sad :( Sure hope he feels better soon.

baeya, Sep 28, 2011
  15. blessedfamily

What a cutie! glad you are trying to save the pup

addy1, Sep 28, 2011
  16. blessedfamily

fishin4cars True friends just call me Larkin Moderator

Cute dog! Prayers are with you and Reese, The little bugs your describing in it's bed sounds similar to bed mites. Not good but usually harmless to dogs unless they already are ill from someting else. However if that's what they are you need to get them (bedding material, toys, everything that has them) outside and treat as they can get on you and your clothing and get transferred to your bed! Remember the old saying don't let the Bed Bugs bite? But if they are tiny ticks then even one of those tiny guys can cause tick paralisis. Hopefully the Vet can find what is causing it and get it the correct treatment. I hope he gets better soon, never a fun deal to go through.
    Our youngest dog Endy was a rescue, My wife found a whole litter of abandoned puppies, we took half the litter, another co-worker took half, 9 total, they were only about 4-5 days old when they started trying to feed them and found the mother wasn't coming back to feed the little guys. Only 3 survived, and Endy was the only one we saved out of the four pups we took in. By the time she was 3 weeks old we had invested over $300 in her, by the time she was 3 months the total was over $1000, She got a eye infection before her eyes opened and left her partially blind in one eye, she had parvo, which meant we had to keep her isolated from our pug until they got that cleared up, she got constipated a few times and had to get treated for that, she got a internal infection from the constipation, again more treatment, then to top it all off being she was partially blind and Phsyco I must add, she was running and playing when she was about 9-10 weeks old and ran into a steel beam, it split her skin above her bad eye and knocked her out. back to the vet with a concusion and 14 stiches over her bad eye, I call her my million dollar, one eyed, scytsophrinic (sp?) phsyco mutt. and yes at three years old she is still a phsyco dog, excuse the french but, crazy as hell! She's the most loving dog, Great guard dog, alert to everything, but she doesn't like strangers to leave, If they come in she jumps up to get attention and won't leave them alone but then when they go to leave she acts like she is going to attack! she's even nipped me, the wife, and my son when we wouldn't let her get near a guest that was leaving. She can be very intimidating and aggravating but I wouldn't trade her for the world. All the time, money, and love she has gotten has been worth it. She's great with other animals, again, I don't worry about someone walking in my house unannounced, heck noone can walk by my house without her letting me know, and she sleeps UNDER the bed right below me every night. If I hear her growl, I have a handgun in hand! All three times she has done it we caught someone that wasn't suppose to be there in our yard. Two were the neighbor coming in drunk, LOL but the other was someone trying to break into the car! Anyway, long story short, she's repayed her debt, I hope Reese gets better and returns the favor back to you, it might not be cheap, but he'll appreciate all the love you give!

fishin4cars, Sep 28, 2011
    Becky and j.w like this.
  17. blessedfamily

blessedfamily

Just got back and they have switched his medicine to something that is risky for pups but is the only option with not knowing what we are dealing with..she did not want to do a tick panel right now because the medicine she gave me is used for many tick diseases so we are just hoping this works,only draw back is he could have joint problems later but its a risk worth taking to save him now. He is in more pain today than yesterday so she gave me something different and I am hoping it works because I feel so bad when I pick him up he growls and whines. I have taken many rescues in but he is by far the worse one and yes he is getting expensive but the vet is never cheap so I always know I will be more than broke when I am done lol..but I really believe God picked me to rescue animals because they always find me :) When I was little I would go door to door with cats and dogs asking people if they wanted them just to get them off the streets,most would not but I tried. Reese thanks me with little kisses and his happy spirit..praying this new medicine works..will keep everyone updated.Have a blessed day. Amber

j.w likes this.
  18. blessedfamily

baeya

Thanks for the update, Amber
    You are certainly a sweetheart to help this little dog. I can't stand when an animal is in pain. Keep us posted, and bless you. Sharon

baeya, Sep 28, 2011
  19. blessedfamily

sissy sissy

my hunter passed away last year after being on meds since he was a year old for thyroid problems .After 12 years he suffered kidney failure last year and the vet and I tried everything to save him but he passed away and broke my heart and then pee wee came into my life after I found out he was born the day my beloved hunter passed .He had the same problem when he was first diagnosed with thyroid he could not walk and the vet tested him and it was his thyroid and it took 3 months of intense phsyicle therapy on my part to get him walking again .I used a towel to help him walk also and after the vet said he would not walk again he was surprised .He was on thyroid meds which I knew could cause kidney failure but what choice did I have .I can say he did have a long healthy life with me .I miss him to this day and always will but I knew I did my best .Did the vet check him for thyroid because what you are describing is what I went through with hunter .Good luck little guy .

sissy, Sep 28, 2011
  20. blessedfamily

j.w I Love my Goldies

Amber that is so nice of you to take care of poor little Reese and sure hope and pray he makes it.

j.w, Sep 28, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question