Having second thoughts on my choice of.......

Reaction score
UNDERLAYMENT. After laying and trimming some old carpet pieces to use as my underlayment I am not totally happy with the material. It appears to be very bulky in places and I'm not sure if it will take away from the volume/depth of the pond area. I did get the carpet pieces free from a friend that was remodeling his floor so that was the best part: FREE. The other problem I have with the carpet is that it has this real pungent old used smell to it. When I was laying it down I did find 2 sewing needles in the carpet fibers. This has me very concerned with possible leaks by a puncture into the liner. Should I vacuum up the carpet where it lays and try to vacuum any potential hazards in it ie needles and is there something I can spray on it like Febreeze to make it less funky. Should I go with an online underlayment material for ponds but I'm probably looking at $75-$100 just for the underlayment which I would need a piece 16' x 21" not including shipping. Whereas that's money I could be using on a new pump instead. Is there any other thinner material I can use and find somewhere like an arts & craft store like Michael's etc. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

Attachments

• carpet28.jpg
    carpet28.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 330
  • carpet30.jpg
    carpet30.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 289
Reaction score
I didnt use my underlyment if you are interested. It is a 15x30' peice with only a couple of square feet cut out I used for 1 big rock in my stream. I paid 78 shipped, I will do it for like $50 shipped to you. I used rubber mats I found so didnt need this.
Here is my post about when I got it:
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/bui...ically-solid-rock-6-under-ground-t3896p3.html
PM me or something if interested.

Reaction score
Not a bad idea to look for old blankets and such. Even though I know the carpet wont show at all once the liner and pond is filledwith water I just dont like the bulkiness of the carpet and the thick folds at the corners. Thanks pp&g

Reaction score
I have no underlayment whatsoever. That will be changing this spring though. I will be going from 9x5x3 to 10x10x4!!!!!! I am going to hate filling it at first, being on city water, but i hope it turns out close to what I have in my head!!! I have tree roots and rocks. Would you just use old carpet on this? If so, like what, a burber?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I used carpet. the fabric has little to do with it. The low pile commercial grade are probably the best for protection. If you don't mind dumpster diving your local carpet installler, you can get all you want. Or you could ask them. Some places have to pay for removal and will be happy to give it to you.

Ask a Question