Having to downsize filtration for the sake of cost... Will it be enough?

Reaction score
I have been trying to figure out how to do the filtration system for days and I just can't do any better than one 55 gallon drum filter for the pond.

I had a spot for my 100 gallon skippy but the vertical height is so much that I would have to buy a pump that sucked electricity like crazy (15 ft of head pressure). The limit on the size pump I can get is 200 watts so that is a no go.

Anyways the only other place I have for a filter will only allow for one 55 gallon drum. Will this be enough filtration?

So far here are the plans:

Mechanical filtration - A large prefilter with a bunch of matala pads with my submersible pump inside.
Bio filtration - 55 gallon drum stuffed with poly strapping
Circulation - Splitting the flow of the pump and using it to circulate under water to help agitate the water and add air.

Will this be enough filtration for a 2,000 gallon Koi Pond? Or am I setting myself up for failure?

I was hoping the extra surface area from the poly strapping might add enough surface area to be as effective as some larger skippy filters that use other media.

Reaction score
Totally depends on the total weight of fish and amount of food fed. Could be you don't need any bio filter, could be you need more. Ammonia test is the only way to know.

The same basically goes for adding O2 to the water. Although in most cases adding O2 benefits the fish and bacteria it generally isn't required to keep the fish alive. Gas exchange happens between the surface and air so it happens without any movement.

If you needed more bio filtering a trickle tower could be placed in or over the pond. These also increase O2 (more water/air contact) than a 55 gal drum set up. They can be made to look nice and provide a pleasing sound if you like that.

Reaction score
Knowing me I will have a decently heavily stocked pond. I am definitely interested in a trickle tower filter if it is considered more efficient than a skippy. Since I need to utilize my space as much as possible.

Ask a Question