Hawk help

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Hi all,

Relatively new to ponding, but I am an avid outdoors person/gardener and I have read an enormous amount about ponding. I love to bird watch and was thrilled to have a pair of nesting redtails in the mountain behind my yard. But alas, now I believe they have some hungry young mouths to feed and may ahve decided that my fish are just what the babies need. We purchased some comets and a few shubunkins about a month ago and someone was giving away mature 6-10" long goldfish, and we took 8. Our water was still fairly green and it was most difficult to find the fish. We weren't feeding them as the temps were still pretty cool for NJ in June and on the few rare occasions the sun peeked out, they seemed happy muching on the vegetation.

I know there are several hiding places and the smaller fish can be mia for a day or two. Got our new filter and the water is clear and we can see everyone... well almost everyone. We had 19 fish two weeks ago and my best count yesterday was 12, but now this morning I cannot find the big white goldfish. Last night it looked like it may have been laying eggs in the submerged plants.

I noticed one comet is missing the top half of his tail, my orange/white big goldfis looks like it has a slight injury on its side and has been hugging the bubbles and the waterfall when it is running and one other comet has white marks running up its side, almost like a claw mark. I know late last year before we did anything to the pond as we had just moved into the house one day a GBH swooped past my head and landed on the edge, never saw him again after that.

I am hoping someone has some ideas on what it is and what I can do to save the rest. I have about a trillion babies now swimming around anywhere from an eigth of an inch up to an inch, so I will not go out and replace any fish, but want to keep everybody safe.

Here are some pics I took last night with my camera phone, one day I'll take out the good camera and give you some better shots:

Attachments

• pond sized.jpg
    pond sized.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 292
  • Pond2.jpg
    Pond2.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 294
  • fish.jpg
    fish.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 257
  • falls.jpg
    falls.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 256
Reaction score
Very nice Pond Mary. I have fishing line strung between tikki torches around the perimeter of my pond. It has worked to keep the dreaded GBH at bay. For a hawk I would also add additional line strung over the pond to keep the hawks from swooping down from above.
Good luck.....

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Nice pond. With that size, the fishing line might be your best deterant for bird predators. That an a good shot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Thanks for the info guys. How far about should I spread the fishing line, how far above the water surface (my pond is raised on 3-sides with brick patio on one side) and do i make a grid pattern?

Is it possible that the hawk could become entangled and drown? I am a bird lover and nature lover (of course I don't like having my pets snagged :grumble:) and would hate to harm a creature who is just doing what he is meant to do.

Reaction score
I have a cooper hawk family (Mom and 4 babies). They are really fun to watch grow up and learn to fly. I don't know how many times I've seen the babies try to land on a branch that is too small and fall to the ground. Now they have gotten a bit bigger they are swooping all around our house and pond. Actually as I type I have had to scare one away from the pond twice, snapped a picture before I scared him off. Not exactly sure how to handle this particular issue. They are clever enough I don't think the fishing line will work as they will just go around it. He lands on the big rocks in the pond and along the edge. I don't think I could put enough fishing line up to stop him.

Attachments

• IMG_Bird.jpg
    IMG_Bird.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 293
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Cooper's are very cool. I really don't want to net the pond, I haven't lost any fish in a while so hopefully whatever it was has a belly ache from my pond. Good luck with the hawks, great pic!

Robyn

A Ponder-ing Newbie
Reaction score
The coopers are most likely after birds that visit your pond.

The red-tails and sharp-shinned like frogs a LOT.They have been known to snag fish though.

That is all I am gonna say. This topic started a huge debate on another forum! LOL

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
I may have spoke too soon on this matter.. i was just sitting out on the deck and, low and behold..10 guesses what flew over my pond within 2' of the surface? (hint: rhymes with chalk) get rid of a heron and now what, a new worry?

Robyn

A Ponder-ing Newbie
Reaction score
Koiguy... if it nabs one of your fish... please take a photo... I would love to settle that aforementioned argument! LOL

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i'll be sure to sit with a camera and hope he nails one of my fish so you can win an argument...DUH!!!
chuckle chuckle

Robyn

A Ponder-ing Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you!
(snicker)

If it would help... I can see if I can catch some of the really ugly small koi in my pond to use as bait!
(and you thought I was being selfish!)

Ask a Question