addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I stood and watched this hawk look for food for about an hour.

First it lands at the end of the pond and walks into the water. Then around 12:35pm (on the tape) it dives into the net, from the house I could see it biting , it did a wiggle nose dive through the net, landed in the water and got out at the edge.

All I can think it was attacking was the new red lily leaves that are right below the water. They move a bit from the small pump running. The fish are not swimming around.

I will try to trim it again.
Well here is the entire hour plus:

Time stamps lands on the fence at 23:25 minutes into the recording, then hits the net at 37:50 into the recording. The cam video flickers when it hits

I was getting ready to run down and save the hawk, but it did fine. Soon after that it flew up into the yard and attacked a piece of grass. Maybe a young one from last year.

The is the view from the other side. The lighting was not the best.

It hits right near the beginning of the recording, then flies into the yard about 1-2 minutes later.

Last edited:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
shoot i need to redo the youtube, brb, did not realize the picture grayed out right where the hawk hit.

It is a hour long, maybe this time I won't trim it

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wow! Wonder if he'll try that again?
No clue, it sat on the post just out of the picture for most of the time staring at the water. Where it hit is right where the new lily leaves float. Pond water is around 37F.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wow, glad it wasn't hurt.
So am I, I think it is a young one, surprising they are pretty lousy hunters. With the snow cover they are missing their mice and mole food supply.

We have birds everywhere, I never see them getting one. They land on our bird feed pole and sit there all of the time, just looking around.

I take all the pictures through our windows so I don't scare them.

This is the same hawk watching from the bird feeder pole, right outside our windows, 15 feet or so

IMG_0899.jpg

Here it is sitting on my upside down protect the extension cord over winter rust bucket, right by the pond just staring at the water. Before he dove into the water.
The bucket is around 8 inches tall.

IMG_0905.jpg
IMG_0906.jpg

This is it sitting on another pond cam, drying off from he water plunge.

IMG_0904.jpg

Last edited:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
In my other life, ie. other husband and out west, we had a place up in Colorado, 8 thousand feet up near a bunch of rivers with salmon. I had a bald eagle attack one of my yorkies, she was 10 feet from me. I screamed at it as it dove, scared it off.

They are huge birds. I have only seen one fly over here many years ago.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We never let Missy off leash or out of our sight. She is to tiny, all five pounds of her.
These hawks are to small to go for her, I think, but the great horned owls aren't.
I love seeing all of the birds of prey, it is our job to protect our kid.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I just ordered the large opening netting to keep hawks out! We have at least 2 pairs that spend most of the day around the yard. Also have a pair of bald eagles. The hawks don't seem interested in the birds around the feeders. I'm going to leave the netting loose so they can't land on it (hopefully).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
We have a pair of nesting red tailed hawks that build their nest and rear their young, in our neighborhood. I see them fly over head, daily, with some type of prey in their talons....snakes, baby bunnies......I watch my 6 lb GiGi very carefully!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Is that you that appears in the window @addy1 ? Does Missy sit in the window all day and watch the goings on outside? My little Bella would be a barking fool!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Neat you caught it on video. Surprised he wanted to get in so bad he wiggled through the net and then got nothing for all his troubles! Silly bird, tricks are for kids :LOL:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Is that you that appears in the window @addy1 ?

Yep didn't even notice that. It was hot, the sun warms us up via the windows, gets near 80 with no heat on. good thing you couldn't see me that well. lol Only had hubbies to big t shirt on.

Ask a Question