hay bales as banks?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United Kingdom
I have a silted up pond. I was thinking of buying bales of straw to create a channel down the centre supported by a wall of bales each side. Then plant up the boggy sides so that the roots start creating a more solider structure. Does this sound sensible?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I’m a little dense sometimes......but I’m not following what you are describing. Any chance you can draw a picture, or take a pic of your pond?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hello Johan, I'm not entirely sure what you're asking either, but here goes. If you're talking about using bales to build up an earthen (or all bales?) berm; I would be concerned about the eventual break down of the bales. Bales tend to compost from the inside out, and will eventually rot, cave in, and your structure will be compromised. If you're talking about using the bales under water (?), I would advise against that as well. The rotting vegetation will produce tannins, and possibly toxins. I hope this helps.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Coir logs would work for that application, can even plant the logs themselves. Just need to be staked down. These are used as a form of erosion control, and will slowly biodegrade (much slower than straw bales).

Ask a Question