sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
has any one ever heard of haydite in filters .I talked to 3 ponders at a pond thing the local garden store had and they have been using haydite rocks in there pond filters for years and showed video of there ponds and 1 pond I remember well was 20x20 and was 5 feet deep and he has been using it for years and he has not had algae that was bad .His pond was crystal clear and he has 20 koi in it all over 2 feet long .I went to see his pond since he lives right in Cascade near my home and he invited me to stop by and see for myself .I was amazed as he has a 300 gallon stock tank as a filter and that's it .But he does also grow plants in his filters as he says it helps hide it a little .He has a smaller pond he keeps some smaller koi in also .I went online and have been looking up haydite since then .He even commented he used lava rock for years until he discovered haydite 15 years ago .To me it looked a little like lava rock but was coarser

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Forgot to include he uses a cal magnetically coupled pump that uses less wattage, he has 2 of them one in each pond and the one he showed me power consumption uses 150 watts at 3325 gph .It is a cal pump pwm2600 .Never heard of it but he told me they sell them on pond filter.com.Only disadvantage he said to them is a 20 ft cord .He did say it was a waterfall pump and I have been looking at them at the place he said .Don't quite understand them so thought maybe some one here does .He explained but between his southern accent (that is heavy ) and how fast he talks he lost me .I did see they only have a 1 year warranty and always think the reason they have 1 year is that they don't last and his was an older model about 7 years old and could have been made better than the newer ones .I always seem to think that the older stuff was made better than all the new stuff ,but it does seem the energy use is the same

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Looks interesting Sissy.

I seen the 5200gph version on amazon for just under $200 and the pwm2600 for $140.

I have yet to see a magnet in pumps that last forever and replacing them can get spendy. Would want to spend some time looking for impellers. Do not see them online for these pumps.

Found a flow based on head graph

calpwmcl.jpg

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
I KNOW HAYDITE IS USE TO PREPARE SOIL IN COMMERCIAL GREENHOUSES ETC...
but heres a copy & paste on it for filtration.....
Advantages of Using Haydite as a Filter Medium
Haydite Physical Properties

• Consistent, dependable (100% manufactured)
  • Physically and chemically inert
  • Greater surface area
  • Hydraulic conductivity allows fast, free drainage
  • Ceramic properties reduce material degradation
  • High angle of internal friction provides stability and strength
  • Reduced weight lowers freight and handling costs
Haydite Performance Properties
  • Predictable performance
  • Removes or reduces phosphorus, arsenic, metals, grease, oils and more
  • Combines nutrient removal and effluent filtration for cleaner discharge
  • Employs ion exchange to enhance treatment process
  • Removes TSS and solid material to prevent clogging
  • Lower maintenance cost
  • Longer service life
  • Economical, readily available and easy to use

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
darn puteris acting up typed it out and now have to type it again -- he has a stream over 50 ft long (my guess ) and seven drop off spots and stream he told me is over 3 ft deep and it is also filled with haydite .I parked near a banana plant that hid my truck and was mulched with haydite also and his veggie garden was my dream garden .He showed a video at the show but it was limited to his filter pond and stream of haydite .He has a sign up on his property no pictures .I found the pump on pondfilter.com and it was 140.25 .He built the whole thing with a used backhoe he bought over 20 years ago .He started small and said once he got his feet wet there was no going back .His water was crystal clear and his fish were beautiful and huge .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
His was the size of larger lava rocks i have about 2 to 3 inches big and some I saw were bigger and he says it comes in different sizes he bought it by a truckload on his pick up for 20 dollars and he did say it was light .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I looked at a couple of sights and seems all they say is what size it comes in so far .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
1/2 inche to 3/4 inch is 112 .50 and then you have to calculate shipment .I am trying to find a local supplier .That is through McCarthy stone

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
found small haydite at leffert stone in Indiana 145 dollars for 2000 lbs .gosh where in va can you get it .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
well I found haydite in Eden NC at the quarry I used to go to and it says 5 dollars for a 25 lb bag and if you buy a scoop it is 12 dollars and they come in 3 sizes small, medium and large .Not sure they don't say the sizes by inches though

Ask a Question