Hazy spring water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my pond here in the UK seems to have survived its first winter, but what was a sparkling clear pond at the end of last year is new a hazy soup. Is this usual and will it clear or do I need to do something? There are no fish and I don't have an aerator or fountain, just a lot of plants and an increasing volume string algae.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hmmm...so no fish, no filter, no pump - no idea! How big is your pond?

I mean, ultimately the best answer is "wait and see" but you have a very different kind of ecological process that you're dealing with there.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's small, about 2m x 1.5 m, max depth of 0.5m. Was very clear for 6 months since I made it last year. I'm tempted to just wait and see, but thought someone might tell me that this is very common and can be fixed by.......

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Shutting down and letting any water sit for 6 months is go to loose clarity, Polish and bio . Fish or no fish I see a large benefit to leaving an air stone in a body of water. Even your micro organisms and bacteria are living creatures and can strip the water column of o2. Which intern turns to death and loss of clarity and polish

Reaction score
Country
United States
Looks like your pond is about 400 gallons. Sounds like an algae bloom. Since you have no fish, I would just wait to see if nature takes care of it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my pond here in the UK seems to have survived its first winter, but what was a sparkling clear pond at the end of last year is new a hazy soup. Is this usual and will it clear or do I need to do something? There are no fish and I don't have an aerator or fountain, just a lot of plants and an increasing volume string algae.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Lawrance, I was wondering how many and what type of plants do you have in the pond?
Hi Stephen - I have Hornwort, Spike Milfoil, Water Soldier, Water Cress and Water Iris

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Great to hear! We like success stories.

Ask a Question